• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Drawing Checklists

kiwijbob

I've based an architectural drawing checklist off the RIAC drawing checklists which is primarily used by juniors, never hurts for more experienced people to run through from time to time. Question is, are there any decent checklist resources online that anybody else uses?

If there are, I have not found them. We have mostly made our own checklists up. Each jurisdiction is relatively unique in how they approach certain issues, so universal checklists are challenging until you have some form of consistency. The provincial building official's association may have one in their plans review course.

When generic checklists are used by a jurisdiction it is necessary to distinguish between those issues related to code compliance and issues not tied to code compliance.

Oddly, this came into discussion in our shop. We're revising our permitting approval process, shifting to a digital database system. In conversations with the boss, I had to politely explain that the Code is exceptionally complex, and it's really not possible to effectively checklist a plans review or field inspection the same way one may be able to checklist a land-use approval process. There's no real happy place between (1) covering the basics but leaving a lot of stuff out that may be missed if all one does is follow the checklist and (2) making the official wade through a host of non-applicable checks that won't apply in 98 per cent of all the plans just to issue a permit for a garage addition.