• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Drinking Fountains and Accessible Bathrooms Required?

If this is a single tenant I don't see the issue. Where do you find the requirements for more than one accessible restroom if both are "gender neutral"
Th 2021 attempts to address this and if you have not adopted it yet I suggest you use it for guidance and possible approval under
[A] 104.10 Modifications.
Where there are practical difficulties involved in carrying out the provisions of this code, the building official shall have the authority to grant modifications for individual cases, upon application of the owner or the owner’s authorized agent, provided that the building official shall first find that special individual reason makes the strict letter of this code impractical, the modification is in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code and that such modification does not lessen health, accessibility, life and fire safety or structural requirements. The details of action granting modifications shall be recorded and entered in the files of the department of building safety.

2021 IBC

View attachment 8867
View attachment 8865
I find that in 1109.2. No matter how many separate facilities you have, they must all be accessible unless you meet one of the 7 exceptions.. This is not to say you can't pronoun them however you want, only that if there is a toilet room, it must be accessible. The question is where do you enforce that in an existing building. Since there were no alterations to the to remaining non-accessible toilet rooms, the CBO is allowing them to remain non-accessible. The only practical difficulty here is they want to maximize work space and save money. That isn't valid IMHO. Now, is it better? Yes. Can I live with it? Yes. Does it meet the IEBC...still don't know for sure. My understanding of the basic premise of the accessible standards is that they are meant to provide equivalent facilities. In this case, if there are three bathrooms that a non-handicapped person can use, the code wants those same three to be usable by those who are handicapped, whenever reasonable, possible and unless by specific exception. Of course "reasonable" is a moving target. What the DP, owner, contractor or myself may find reasonable, the DOJ might not. That's why I rely on the published standards and codes.

Sifu, other than the CBO, have you informed the tenant of the barrier removal requirement for existing buildings by the ADA? If it exists it must comply.
I explained that I was merely trying to conduct a little risk management because he had responsibilities beyond the limits of my guidance. Otherwise, I don't even like invoking the ADA.

2019 CALIFORNIA PLUMBING CODE
Urinal and Drinking fountain (or Bottle filling Station) required CPC TABLE 422.1

Effective March 1, 2017, California Law requires that all single-user toilet facilities in any business establishment, place of public accommodation, or government agency to be identified as All-Gender toilet facilities. As a result, all such facilities in those workplaces shall be updated with signage consistent with this new law.

The text of the law can be found here:

I explained that I was merely trying to conduct a little risk management because he had responsibilities beyond the limits of my guidance. Otherwise, I don't even like invoking the ADA.
What are your limits?
He needs to know what the ADA requires too.

What are your limits?
He needs to know what the ADA requires too.
My limits are the administration of the IBC and ANSI 117.1 standard. He does need to know what the ADA says, but that is his responsibility. Whenever I have an ambiguous or unusually contentious point I will look to the ADA, the access board or other codes and standards I am familiar with for guidance, but I don't enforce them. If I find any particularly useful information I will share it, but am very careful to only administer the codes my AHJ has adopted.