• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Drive-Thru Windows

fungineer

Our firm does handles a few clients in that use Drive-thru or Quick-serve windows. Typically most of our clients like the "Ready Access" brand for various reasons. However, the specific brand doesn't matter here.

How are you able to find a window that passes the IECC code? For our WI projects, which use 2015 IECC, the Operable fenestrations required a U-factor of 0.43 for our climate zone. Unless I treat the Drive-through as an "entrance" (U max = 0.77) It's really hard to find any suppliers that can meet that u-factor. I know CA requires air curtians, but that's a secondary provision.

Particularly when updating an existing building, where using prescriptive values makes sense (or a balanced method - such as Comcheck), rather than a whole-building analysis this becomes very problematic. Any thoughts, or am I missing something?

I'm not an expert, but I have taken these type of windows in sections and get them to pass COM-check as well as the California requirements without the air curtain. In COM-check, the fixed window portion most closely resembles a storefront constructed glazing and the operable portion, which is usually a small portion is >50% glazed door. Select non-swinging for operation. I haven't had any of the multiple states I deal with balk at it.