• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

dual height drinking fountain and Elkay EZH20

Hyrax4978

I have a building official who will not sign off on a permit application that has been in his hands for over a month now. One issue at hand is the dual height drinking fountain.

His response:
"A combo bottle filling station / ADA drinking fountain does not meet the requirement of a dual height drinking fountain per IBC 1109.5.1. Unless a modification is requested and granted through the State, a dual height drinking fountain is required."

I have never been told the Elkay EZH20 combo units would not be accepted. I can easily file a modification with the state to see what comes of it, but i was hoping someone on here already had paperwork saying this bottle filler/drinking fountain combo unit is acceptable so i can get this permit approved without waiting the 3 plus weeks the state will take to look at modification paperwork.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian

The issue appears to be that the bottle filler is too high and requires use of one's hands to operate it.

Steve posted the correct Hi/Lo with bottle filler. a bottle filler is not acceptable as a DF of either height

I see and approve them all the time as an inspector. Bottle filler should be ok because you just hold the bottle at under the maximum accessible reach range. Also if the state adopted the 2015 IPC and the water fountain conforms to IPC 410.1 the state all ready approved it.

410.1 Approval. Drinking fountains shall conform to ASME
A112.19.1/CSA B45.2 or ASME A112.19.2/CSA B45.1 and
water coolers shall conform to AHRI 1010. Drinking fountains
and water coolers shall conform to NSF 61, Section 9.
Electrically operated, refrigerated drinking water coolers
shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 399.

I looked it up and it conforms to ASE A112.19.3/CSA B45.4,
NSF 372, NSF 61, UL 399

The
Not compliant with ADA, can't be used without ability to grasp or hold bottle
ADA guy, post #3 shows a dual height fountain PLUS a bottle filter. So the drinking fountains in that image can comply. The only question is, does the bottle filler comply?
Your response says "no". But that's a problem of the BOTTLE, which is not a part of the building. The bottle is not subject to ADA compliance, only the bottle filter.
Analogy: an accessible kitchen sink, including its controls, must comply with ADA. But the dishes themselves don't need to comply with ADA.

Regarding whether a single fountain spigot plus a water dispenser would comply, see this old thread:
https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/hi-lo-water-cooler-or-just-lo.4244/

The specifications on the Elkay website list most of the EZH20 fountains as meeting ADA, check your plans height measurements.

If you take it back to the basic principal of "provide it for some, provide it for all", then you are providing opportunity to those who do not require an accessible feature to get a drink of water without a bottle. If you require an accessible use fixture, and do not have a bottle, good luck.

Now, if you only provided the bottle filling station, then no discrimination exists (unless bottle-less persons becomes a protected group ;)).

In the "opinion" of Elkay, have they received verification from DOJ?
ADA Guy, you know that the DOJ does not have any list of "approved" products. Even for something as obvious as a door lever, the only way the DOJ will formally verify any product is if when they sue you over that product, then lose in court.

An Elkay fountain (or a door lever hardware) can be ADA compliant in its parts and controls, but could be out of compliance if installed at the incorrect height.

classic T's post #12 is right.
To summarize, there are at least 5 ways to meet ADA. Either:
(a) provide no fountain at all, if the plumbing code does not require fountains for your use, or
(b) provide an accessible water dispensing station in lieu of having any fountains at all, where the plumbing code specifically allows that substitution exception for your use, or
(c) provide a combination hi /low accessible fountain, which pretty much looks like 2 fountains side by side, or
(d) provide a separate high fountain and a separate low fountain, in very close proximity to each other, or
(e) provide a hi /low accessible fountain as per (c), which also has an ADA accessible bottle filler.

Use of a bottle filler leaves you exposed to challenge by those without fingers, hands or the ability to grasp. You take your chances, same holds for spittoons in gyms.

Use of a bottle filler leaves you exposed to challenge by those without fingers, hands or the ability to grasp. You take your chances, same holds for spittoons in gyms.
They need to bring their own bottle, so if they cannot hold the bottle they would need to sue themselves.

So why would holding a bottle at a bottle filler be different than taking a can of soda from a vending machine, holding a cup at a self service soda machine, grabbing a gallon of milk from a refrigerator in a store, taking a plate out of the lunch room microwave, or using a key card at a hotel?

Almost everybody uses bottle fillers nowadays. I'm one of the few people that actually drink out of of water fountain, and I think that many of them will be scared to touch the button post-Civid.

Let's assume the bottle filler is accessible, and the drinking fountain is not. How does a disabled person get a drink if they don't have a bottle? This is the problem with using the bottle filler as the only accessible drinking fountain.

Requiring 50% of drinking fountains to be high doesn't make much sense. I'm 75 and 6'-2" and I can still bend over to drink from a lower ADA fountain. An ADA height fountain plus bottle filler, or a lesser percentage of high fountains, would make more sense. Unfortunately the feds are still back in pre-bottle filler days.

Right or wrong, the code is clear. IBC1109.5.1.

1109.5.1 Minimum number. No fewer than two drinking fountains shall be provided. One drinking fountain shall comply with the requirements for people who use a wheelchair and one drinking fountain shall comply with the requirements for standing persons.

IPC definitions.

DRINKING FOUNTAIN. A plumbing fixture that is connected to the potable water distribution system and the drainage system. The fixture allows the user to obtain a drink directly from a stream of flowing water without the use of any accessories.

A single drinking fountain, high or low, with a bottle filler is not "two drinking fountains."

2015 IBC
1109.5.1 Minimum number. No fewer than two drinking
fountains shall be provided. One drinking fountain shall
comply with the requirements for people who use a wheelchair
and one drinking fountain shall comply with the
requirements for standing persons.
Exceptions:
1. A single drinking fountain with two separate
spouts that complies with the requirements for
people who use a wheelchair and standing persons
shall be permitted to be substituted for two
separate drinking fountains.

I don't think there is anything that requires the high and low DF to be near each other. Did a large warehouse where the high and low DF were hundredths of feet apart and you could not see one from the other

So after a bunch of back and forth with Elkay, the B.O, we ultimately decided to provide just the old fashioned high low. Elkay basically said "Depends on the B.O. interpretation" and that is where they left it. This B.O. would have required a mod (although he said he would back it and thinks it would be approved) the easiest way was to just revert to the good ole fashioned high/low. the owner provides bottled water anyway so 99% of the time, this is just to satisfy the code/BO and the owner will just move on without the bottle filler.

I require a minimum of two (high and low), and a bottle filler can't replace either one. If they want to add a bottle filler after the minimum number, as long as it is accessible I don't care. Mods are requested all the time, and are usually accepted quickly by the boss.