• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

dual occupancy

rbcameron1

Just trying to make sense in my head...

If I had one "new construction" Type II A building with half being warehouse (normal Storage) and half being business (Business). It's a rectangular floorplan with a wall separating the two occupancies. Is it better to just classify it all as a B group rather than dual occupancies? The warehouse belongs to the same client as the business. Its a business supply company that has a connected storage warehouse where they store paper, chairs, office supplies, etc...nothing flammable.

And I would just do a bathroom fixture count for the whole floorplan, not individually right?

how many sq ft???

the answer is no you have a "B" and a "S", unless the public is wondering through the "warehouse", than you might have a "M"

It should not "have to" be separated.....but would need more info to decide that and I do not know if there is a "better". Who's better? I am sure the FD and insurance company would love the fire rated wall......The owner might not like the price tag..... The fixture count would go off of the occupant load which would be calculated off of the use of the space, not neccessarily the occupancy type...

I think it ends up being 2 mens and 2 womens but we plan on having that on both floors. We have an open 2 story atrium and 1 egress stair and 1 open stair. Which reminds me of another question. Since we have the 1 single rated stair tower in one corner of the building, does the second stair have to be in an enclosure too?

what edition code are you desiging to and I take it building will be sprinkled