• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

E.E.& R.O. 2015 IRC ? Gate

tbz

Silver Member
Good afternoon Everyone,

Ok here is the situation. Have a Realtor call, building inspector wont provide a c/o because the there is no gate to exit the window well.

Situation, there is a 46" deep window well, at the top of the masonry wall there is a 36" high guard around the opening, to prevent someone walking through the garden mulch from falling in to the window well. There is a ladder that goes from the bottom of the window well to the top of the guard.

Thus, when exiting through the window well you would climb up the ladder to the top of the guard, (38" above grade) swing over and drop down.

Now it's standard procedure by us to install gates to exit window wells like this when we do them, but after reading through the code I am trying to find out if the gate is a requirement?

How do you all see it or interpret the 2015 IRC EERO ladder exit requirement when it comes to a guard at the top of the wall opening?

Thank you - Tom

Seem to me the problem is once you would get to the top of the ladder, at the top of the guard, you then have to dismount 38" in a drop to grade. Doesn't sound the best, but what is the difference from when one would have to use a 2nd story EERO, that drops to grade?

I would have to say it's compliant without a gate.

Reactions: JBI
ok, now I get the picture, I think

Hum

I would ask the nice inspector for a code reference

Is this a new house or existing??????

Does that inspector also require a gate at the top of a flight of stairs that you could fall down?...A pic or sketch would do wonders, but it sounds like the inspector is wrong...

not an IRC person

But is the guard needed anyway because of section 312.

Is a possible solution, if pushed to make part of the guard swing open??

not an IRC person

But is the guard needed anyway because of section 312.

Is a possible solution, if pushed to make part of the guard swing open??

We only require a guard if there is equipment, or a walking surface with in 36". Don't ask where that number came from, I inherited it, and it works.

Ok, Let me start that I was never at this place before this afternoon, so what you are about to see was not of my doing, only what the client relayed over the phone.

They took an aluminum extension ladder, used 2 U bolts to clamp it to the top of the guard and then used 2 more U bolts to secure the rungs together so you could not slide the ladder between it's parts.

Here is your picture:

1703343452007.png
ladder.jpg.jpg

Not what I would have done, nor what we are going to be doing, but I will note that there are 2 windows in the bay and you could use one, but not the other.

In any case, with the ladder fixed in place and extending to the top of the guard, does this not meet the requirements and if not, how is the building inspector valid in requiring a gate.

Trying to stay on topic with my head still shaking from disbelief.

Thanks - Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! I think I would be compelled to accept stairs or a ladder that stops at the top of the wall. My thinking is if the widow sill can be 44 inches off the finished floor, why not the final step out of the well.

Honestly though, I've never seen a well with a gate around it.

Lots of people would have a difficult time negotiating that setup. There should be a gate. I have never encountered a window well that is an EERO.

I will say that it looks dumb enough to show up in my area.

Ok

New or existing house??

Appears existing

Was the basement finished out when built or at least a permit if done later???

As in did the city accept this along time ago ??

Lots of people would have a difficult time negotiating that setup. There should be a gate. I have never encountered a window well that is an EERO.

I will say that it looks dumb enough to show up in my area.
ICE, we always make them with the gate at the top, very common setup here, but the question becomes, as noted, is it required and is the current fixed in place ladder compliant per code requirements. Again not best case, but you get it? Window wells EERO's around here are very common.

Ok

New or existing house??

Appears existing

Was the basement finished out when built or at least a permit if done later???

As in did the city accept this along time ago ??
This was a new house when built 3 years ago and the original owner is selling, already in Texas, NJ requires re-certification of C/O before any title transfer, so you are walking in to a home for that reason.

My guess is that the basement was finished when built, very common, but no sleeping unit, at some point they must of added a closet to trigger this.

Again, we are called in because they can't close the sale without this rectified for a C/O.

But, even though I see it as "Jerry Rigged" for all intentional purposes is it not compliant, though not my cup of tea?

Yikes! I think I would be compelled to accept stairs or a ladder that stops at the top of the wall. My thinking is if the widow sill can be 44 inches off the finished floor, why not the final step out of the well.

Honestly though, I've never seen a well with a gate around it.
Yikes, for intentional purposes the ladder does allow you to get off at the top of the wall and step over.

My question is the building inspector is requiring a gate?

How can that be a requirement?

So once again, sounds like it was approved when built

A closet does not make a bedroom

I am wondering if the city still has plans??

I am wondering if the city still has A permit, maybe showing a description of the property/ design. As in bedroom in basement along with other bedrooms.

Will the inspector approve the place,,

If you just completely remove the section of fence the ladder is attached to???

top of ladder is higher than 30", provide steps or a ladder on the outside to take you back to grade.... or provide a gate in the fence. This is a egress component.

I don't do alot of wells, so I would have to look at that specific wording, but there is typically nothing in EERO's that requires access to grade (2nd floor), I know wells have a "ladder requirement" but not sure how it reads...

If this house was approved 3 or so years ago, wouldn't the codes at that time apply?
Maybe it's addition of the closet and someone's interpretation of this area now becoming a bedroom... Like another said, check local permits.

The rail assembly, is that a local ordinance? I don't see how that would be required any other way with technically no walking surface due to mulch bed and therefore no danger... IMO, I think the rail assembly is more of an issue than help...

I also have never seen such an assembly.

The 30" rule only applies if you have a "walking surface" immediately adjacent. A yard, or more specifically a flower bed (in this case), is not a "walking surface". As bad as that looks, it meets the requirements of the code.

The intent of the ladder requirement is to get someone out of the window well if they have to use the egress window. This setup, however fugly, lets you do that. If that house catches fire with you in the basement are you going to burn, or are you going to crawl up that ladder and fall off the guard to get away? I know which one I'd choose... Pass it and roll on to the next one.

And, why is the guard there anyway? Again - no walking surface adjacent, no need for a guard. If you're dumb enough to fall in that hole when working in the yard, the codes can't protect you from yourself anyway.

The guard may be required depending on how the AHJ defines a walking surface. We do not apply the term "walking surface" outside of a residence to the yards and other pervious surfaces.
If you have a guard you should have a gate or opening.
R312.1.1 Where required.
Guards shall be located along open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, ramps and landings, that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches (914 mm) horizontally to the edge of the open side. Insect screening shall not be considered as a guard.

Plant some bushes