• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

E.E.& R.O. 2015 IRC ? Gate

Mark, how is the top of this guard/ladder any deferent from a second story window? No stairs or ladder to take you to grade there........

Reactions: JBI
We have been looking at this from the escape side. How does the guard deter the FD from a rescue operation.

They break out the saw lol.

Code allows you 44" sill height to get out the guard isn't that tall, and as said previously 2nd floor nothing you jump or FD uses ladder.
IMO remove the guard, bolt on ladder rungs and call it a day! :D

So you are a firefighter with a 30" inseam dressed in full gear with a SCBA pack on and you are just going to step over a 36" high guard and not fall into the window well?

So you are a firefighter with a 30" inseam dressed in full gear with a SCBA pack on and you are just going to step over a 36" high guard and not fall into the window well?

I don't know many firefighters who couldn't grab ahold of that rail and make it disappear.

Ok, here are the revised pictures after the work was done this afternoon.
1703343504914.png
ladder2.jpg

1703343555245.png
ladder3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The guards around the window wells are done normally when a walking path is nearby, but here in Jersey its the insurance companies that dictate the guards around the openings when not next to a walking surface.

Example, homeowner buys the home, bank requests letter from Insurance company owner has insurance, insurance company does inspection and says, we wont insure it without the guards around the window wells to protect from falling in.

I posted 2015, but this would have been 2009.

Though the original design fix was not anything I would put my stamp on, I can't seem to figure out how the inspector required the gate? based on code.

The guards around the window wells are done normally when a walking path is nearby, but here in Jersey its the insurance companies that dictate the guards around the openings when not next to a walking surface.

Example, homeowner buys the home, bank requests letter from Insurance company owner has insurance, insurance company does inspection and says, we wont insure it without the guards around the window wells to protect from falling in.

I posted 2015, but this would have been 2009.

Though the original design fix was not anything I would put my stamp on, I can't seem to figure out how the inspector required the gate? based on code.

He didn't require it based on code - he pulled it out his ___ because he didn't like it, and the homeowner/contractor fell for it.

He didn't require it based on code - he pulled it out his ___ because he didn't like it, and the homeowner/contractor fell for it.
JC,

It's not that the homeowner/contractor fell for it, the homeowner is upset and feels they don't, but they had the house sold to close tomorrow and without the C/O that would not happened.

Thus, argue and miss the closing date or do it and be done, they seller is already 2,000 miles away.

Tom

Just having a little fun Mark.....

I saw the handle, but couldn't see the hinges, see them now.

So sorry........my apologies sir.