• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

East Orange building inspector arrested on bribery charges, officials say

mark handler

SAWHORSE
East Orange building inspector arrested on bribery charges, officials say

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2015/06/east_orange_building_inspector_arrested_on_bribery.html

EAST ORANGE – County authorities have arrested city building inspector Salahudyin Jones on charges of bribery and extortion, authorities said Thursday.

Jones, 31, of East Orange, was arrested at City Hall Thursday morning, and later processed and released, officials said.

A two-month investigation led authorities to allege that Jones demanded bribes ranging from $200 to $500 in exchange for dismissing building code violations and obtaining building certifications, said a spokesman for the Essex County Prosecutor's Office.

No additional details were immediately available, but authorities said the investigation is ongoing.

If convicted, Jones will face 5 to 10 years in prison for each charged count. His first appearance in court is scheduled for July 2.

black-eye-smiley-hi.png

200 to 500???

At least get enough to make it worthwhile for crying out loud!

(Example, when the attorney and engineer for WM joked about bribing me, I looked them in the eye, straight faced, and said '"Just make sure I can retire on it." They just about $#!+ their britches. LOL)

Had a concrete contractor stick a $5 bill in my pocket one time to pass his rebar inspection. I laugh about it now. wasn't funny then.

David Henderson said:
Had a concrete contractor stick a $5 bill in my pocket one time to pass his rebar inspection. I laugh about it now. wasn't funny then.
Did you want more?

Had a contractor not do any corrections on a frame, plumbing, electric, mechanical inspection. Told me that there was something for me on the pickup seat. Found an envelope, told the Contractor to pick it up and hold it out in front of me, I was a smoker at the time and took out my butane lighter ramped up to full height flame and lit the envelope. He was so startled he didn't get the flame out before the 2 100 dollar bills burned to less than half. Wrote a not ready and reinspection fee due. Gunshot didn't beat the phone call to the main office.