• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Echo Park pizza parlor struggles to reopen

A window decal cost $10 and is in stock in thousands of sign shops, home depots and lowes in the LA area

It's BS

Amazon.com: Handicap Access ADA Sticker Window Door Decal: Everything Else

416yW7U7eAL._SS500_.jpg

Price $2.99 at amazon

In stock.

they could not find ADA-compliant decals – which must include Braille markings
I have never seen one with braille writing and that is perhaps the issue or misunderstanding.

The fact an inspector would keep a business from opening for a $2.99 sticker if it is required at all is silly.

I would like to see the code section and if it does not exist then perhaps the business owner should ask the inspector to compensate him for his lost revenue.

mtlogcabin said:
I have never seen one with braille writing and that is perhaps the issue or misunderstanding. The fact an inspector would keep a business from opening for a $2.99 sticker if it is required at all is silly.

I would like to see the code section and if it does not exist then perhaps the business owner should ask the inspector to compensate him for his lost revenue.
The exterior entrance door decals do NOT require Braille

Exit signs (interior) do require Braille

Room names, including restrooms, do require Braille

The ADA and CA building code require the accessible entrances be marked, but not in braille.

ISA sticker is one of twenty of more other issues issued on the correction notice

It is an excuse.

They are just complaining.... Now that they have had their 16 min. of fame they have reopened...

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting the issue of window stickers with or without Braille and TCO's aside, I'm confused by this portion of the article,

The new restroom, however, was another matter. After the restroom and short hallway were completed, inspectors determined that there was insufficient clearance when the restroom door swung open, Schweitzer said. That forced the family to buy and install an electric-powered door, which triggered another round of construction and inspections.
Presuming the issue is maneuvering clearance at the toilet room door, how does making it a power-assisted door alleviate the problem?

pmarx said:
Putting the issue of window stickers with or without Braille and TCO's aside, I'm confused by this portion of the article,Presuming the issue is maneuvering clearance at the toilet room door, how does making it a power-assisted door alleviate the problem?
Adding a powerassist can alleviate the door clearances, the user no longer needs to deal with the functioning of opening the door

Mark, could you please point me to the code section I'm missing? Be it ADAAG or ICC/ANSI A117.1, I can only find that the sections on automatic doors refer back to the sections covering maneuvering clearances. The two exceptions I can find are doors designed to be operated by security personnel (ICC/ANSI) and where automatic doors remain open in the power off condition (ADAAG). Thanks.

Yes it is in the 2010 ADA Standards I do not think it is in the ANSI 117.1 yet

2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design

404.3 Automatic and Power-Assisted Doors and Gates. Automatic doors and automatic gates shall comply with 404.3. Full-powered automatic doors shall comply with ANSI/BHMA A156.10 (incorporated by reference, see "Referenced Standards" in Chapter 1). Low-energy and power-assisted doors shall comply with ANSI/BHMA A156.19 (1997 or 2002 edition) (incorporated by reference, see "Referenced Standards" in Chapter 1).

404.3.1 Clear Width. Doorways shall provide a clear opening of 32 inches (815 mm) minimum in power-on and power-off mode. The minimum clear width for automatic door systems in a doorway shall be based on the clear opening provided by all leaves in the open position.

404.3.2 Maneuvering Clearance. Clearances at power-assisted doors and gates shall comply with 404.2.4. Clearances at automatic doors and gates without standby power and serving an accessible means of egress shall comply with 404.2.4.

EXCEPTION: Where automatic doors and gates remain open in the power-off condition, compliance with 404.2.4 shall not be required

"Everything seemed to be going well during Wednesday’s final inspection except for one thing. The restaurant was missing window “stickers,” Schweitzer said."

If this is true, and an inspector kept a business from reopening, around here we call people like that pr**ks. I'm glad the story made the papers and hopefull this public servant was given some time off without pay so he can think about what it's like trying to find a way to pay the mortgage just like the folks of this business.

I must be getting old, how come it seems like there are more jerks than decent people...help thy neighbor is a lost value.

GCtony said:
If this is true, and an inspector kept a business from reopening, around here we call people like that pr**ks. I'm glad the story made the papers and hopefull this public servant was given some time off without pay so he can think about what it's like trying to find a way to pay the mortgage just like the folks of this business.

I must be getting old, how come it seems like there are more jerks than decent people...help thy neighbor is a lost value.
Is that because it's never the owner or GC's fault. Historically there are egregious errors on both sides of the construction/inspection fence, what you should really be taking issue with is people shouldering their share of the blame. I missed the part where the GC said not fixing the other 19 items was on them?

How many times or better yet, what percentage of people that you cut a break actually follow through after they get what they want? As in C of O

jar546 said:
How many times or better yet, what percentage of people that you cut a break actually follow through after they get what they want? As in C of O
I didn't start out this way but no sticker no C of O.

We do temp c of o's but then they go into slow motion and ask for extensions then the winter comes and they ask if they can paint he ADA parking lines in the spring and by that time everyone forgets. They only needed a temp to open and once open, they don't need us. Tickler file, shmickler file my ***

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Is that because it's never the owner or GC's fault. Historically there are egregious errors on both sides of the construction/inspection fence, what you should really be taking issue with is people shouldering their share of the blame. I missed the part where the GC said not fixing the other 19 items was on them?
The story says the only thing left on the final was the sticker. No question it's the GC's fault, he's the one that pulled the permit. However, if you want to play the blame game; Why didn't plans review catch the door swing problem? Did the field inspector catch the door swing problem on the framing inspection? This isn't supposed to be about blame, it's supposed to be about working together as a team to benifit the customer. How about the inspector saying to the Owner, "I'll be back in two days to check the sticker, if it's not in place I will have no choice but to shut you down." That's being reasonable, that's being part of the team, that's wanting to help others.

I can understand not approving a final when it's something that involves public safety but something like this that's more political than anything, I just don't get it. This ranks up there with failing an framing inspection for one screw missed on the metal stud at a door opening. (it happened)

I'm sure you can tell this hits a nerve with me. It seems that butting heads between the inspection office and the contractors gets worse every year. We can't forget that the only folks we hurt by not working together is the people that pay us. I've seen this Mitlons rule thing...what can we do to help make it happen? Just imagin if society in general would think..."what can I do to help someone today?"

jar546 said:
Back 10 or 15 or more years ago, inspectors would do the "correct this, I'll check it the next time I'm here" We never considered not doing what was requested because we know if we tried taking the short cut, and stabbed the inspector in the back, we would be screwed forever. You took years to build a mutual respect, why risk loosing it. Now, most newer school inspectors it's either right or wrong, with no flexability. Now it's "reschedule the inspection, and I'll come back once the reinspection fee is paid" We still have an inspector or two that will "hold the ticket" and will say "fix this and I'll swing by at the end o the day to check it" but is very rare.

If I can find and order the appropriate braille signs and install them where I work, there is no excuse.

Sue, in the high desert of CA, 100 miles from anywhere

Last edited by a moderator:
GCtony said:
Back 10 or 15 or more years ago, inspectors would do the "correct this, I'll check it the next time I'm here" We never considered not doing what was requested because we know if we tried taking the short cut, and stabbed the inspector in the back, we would be screwed forever. You took years to build a mutual respect, why risk loosing it. Now, most newer school inspectors it's either right or wrong, with no flexability. Now it's "reschedule the inspection, and I'll come back once the reinspection fee is paid" We still have an inspector or two that will "hold the ticket" and will say "fix this and I'll swing by at the end o the day to check it" but is very rare.
this is typically how we work, until as you say that level of mutual respect has been burned. We have all the red tape tools at our disposal, but only dust them off on rare occasions. One GC told us that his guy was working on the stairs and we would need to go around to the walkout slider to complete the rough-in inspection. turns out the reason the guy was working on the stairs at the time of our inspection was to keep us from finding the head height issues. He even admitted when he paid his re-inspect fee. Unfortunately a few bad apples give the whole bunch a bad name. Thanks for your efforts. We appreciate them.