• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Education and updates

I am new to the board. I work primarily in residential remodeling. It is my desire to build projects that will stand the test of time. So here I am learning to build to code.

One of the factors that keeps contractors from learning the codes is the homeowners lack of education. A good portion of the people we deal with are truely shopping for price and price alone. Many do not understand the te real cost of the lowest bid. The worst offenders are the "investors". I am not a plumber or electrician but the things I have seen done scare me.

Recently I fell off a flight of stairs attached to a home with 4 16d nails. Six feet wide and eight feet off the ground. They just let go and off they came. It amazes me sometimes that people just care so little. Seeing a deck attached to a home with double sided tape would not surprise me at all.

Knowing building codes can be a huge factor in selling a job. I instruct the people we work for to always have a permit pulled and offer to do so. Most contractors fear the Inspector because they are the all knowing expert. I tell customers codes will protect you, your property and its value.

It adds a couple hours for me to do a drawing and take it to the Inspector. Like I said I am a contrator and no code expert but referencing the code book gets me real close. The Inspector points out any concerns and I'm off with my permit in hand. Once we are on the job things flow because everyone has a reference as to what we are doing. It also makes material orders simpler.

I don't fear the inspector because I want to build to a standard that I will be proud to show my six year old in 20 years.