• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

EERO Conundrum

One of the reasons for minimum sizes in an EERO is for fire fighter access.

From the commentary "The minimum of 20" for the width is based on two criteria: the width necessary to place a ladder within the window opening and the width necessary to admit a fire-fighter with full rescue equipment, including breathing apparatus. The minimum 24" height is based on the minimum size necessary to admit a fire-fighter with full rescue equipment." Clearly the code intends the minimum size to be for more than just jumping out.

Of course I would approve an EERO over a roof, as long as that roof is navigable by rescue personnel. If a fire fighter can put a ladder to the roof, then walk across the roof to rescue the occupant then it is fine. But in this case, Not only is the structural ability for that roof to carry a fire fighter in doubt, but the surface would certainly be a problem with rain, ice or snow. Add to that, the probable occupant is elderly, and unable to safely navigate that roof.

I guess its just my interpretation, but I will err on the side of caution.