• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress from Second Level Through Intervening Space that is Egress

Two exits are in the building - the ratings are not for fire walls so it is one building with two egress stairways at each end.

The stair shaft has a fire barrier to encapsulate the enclosed stair shaft and to partially enclose the open stair shaft. The balance of the separations are for the sleeping units (Dorm Rooms)

The only issue is the length of the dead end corridors are only allowed with a true NFPA 13 Fire Sprinkler system.....for 50 feet dead end corridors

if a 13R system is used, dead end corridors are only allowed to be 20 feet.

IBC Referenced here.

I would disagree.

If you are in an end pod, and there is a fire or other problem near the exit,,

You do not have access to another exit.

Like being in a high rise, need access to at least two exits, separation required and all that other code stuff.

Say your in unit 211 and fire is blowing out of 204.

The response, since fifty foot dead end corridors are allowed, I do not exceed the allowable common path of travel as allowed by the code for a residential building provided with an NFPA 13 fire sprinkler system. At the fifty foot mark, an occupant has a choice of two exits. Therefore, This building has a minimum number of exits as required per floor.

I do not like this design for the obvious reasons expressed, however, It meets the code limitations as a minimum...... I do not feel that this meets the intent of the code to ensure that an exit is always available.

thanks for the comments, all. the state fire marshal's office has permitted the project.