• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress from "wine cellar" (R310)

head clearance.. minimum room size... just because there's a stairway going there doesn't mean it's a habitable space. If I drank wine, I could drink myself into a stupor, so a smoke detector and egress window could be required.. because now it's a sleeping room...

GHRoberts said:
I think Robert Ellenberg's post (as well as my previous post) was that a basement has no habitable requirement. I don't remember the details of the basement v. crawl space discussion. I think I came away thinking there were no substantive differences.
Oh yes, the difference is that a basement over 200sf has to have egress directly outside. So the difference is substantial.

so, make an opening into the other below grade areas accessed only from the outside. I've seen several storm cellars with only the stairs to the main house (not a great design, but at the time.. nothing prohibiting them).

Dorothy's storm cellar in Kansas was only accessed from the outside.. also not a great idea.