• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress Near Stairs

Seth D

Hello All,
New to the forum. I'm a handyman and have a couple questions about a project that I have not encountered before. I have done stairs before, but this customer would like new stairs coming off an existing deck (71" above grade. There were no stairs before on this end of deck). House is a split level ranch. New straight stairs will potentially terminate in front of a lower level bedroom egress window depending on rise/run calculations. Bottom of egress window is just above grade. No window well. My first question is how much of a clear area is required in front of the egress window that is not obstructed by the stairs? Does the 36" direction of travel apply both coming off the stairs onto a concrete pad (parallel to house) and out the window (perpendicular to house)?

My second question has to do with an existing free standing deck for the above ground pool. The deck is 8'x10' and 51" above grade. They currently have a swing up aluminum stair/ladder they would like replaced with wider wood stairs and railings. Because the stairs will be parallel to, and right alongside the pool, are there any specific requirements other than normal baluster spacing and pool gate codes for child safety? The easy solutions would be turn the stairs coming off the deck so they do not land in front of the window and for the pool deck move the stairs away from the pool, but there are other clearance issues and this is what the customer would like to pursue first. Thanks in advance for any info.

The code is silent on the amount of space between the window and stairs. As an inspector I would require at least a 36" between them.
On the second question it depends on the where the gate is, on top or on the bottom of the stairway.

Thanks for the reply. My inclination would be to put the gate at the bottom so it does not swing outward over a top stair. I assume there would have to be a 48" barrier around the stairs, but once inside that gate and barrier, does the railing on the pool side need to be 48" and does the baluster spacing need to be reduced to 1and 3/4"?

Hello All,
New to the forum. I'm a handyman and have a couple questions about a project that I have not encountered before. I have done stairs before, but this customer would like new stairs coming off an existing deck (71" above grade. There were no stairs before on this end of deck). House is a split level ranch. New straight stairs will potentially terminate in front of a lower level bedroom egress window depending on rise/run calculations. Bottom of egress window is just above grade. No window well. My first question is how much of a clear area is required in front of the egress window that is not obstructed by the stairs? Does the 36" direction of travel apply both coming off the stairs onto a concrete pad (parallel to house) and out the window (perpendicular to house)?

My second question has to do with an existing free standing deck for the above ground pool. The deck is 8'x10' and 51" above grade. They currently have a swing up aluminum stair/ladder they would like replaced with wider wood stairs and railings. Because the stairs will be parallel to, and right alongside the pool, are there any specific requirements other than normal baluster spacing and pool gate codes for child safety? The easy solutions would be turn the stairs coming off the deck so they do not land in front of the window and for the pool deck move the stairs away from the pool, but there are other clearance issues and this is what the customer would like to pursue first. Thanks in advance for any info.
36" is the minimum stair landing and 36" is good practice if not outright required on the outside of an EERO....

As the pool stairs are the barrier, you want to make sure they are not climbable....So way tighter spacing (and likely higher) than a normal deck guard....

You could take some direction from this section, goes to intent.

R310.2.4 Emergency escape and rescue openings
under decks, porches and cantilevers. Emergency
escape and rescue openings installed under decks,
porches and cantilevers shall be fully openable and
provide a path not less than 36 inches (914 mm) in height
and 36 inches (914 mm) in width to a yard or court.