• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress Requirements for Students with Special Needs

By meeting the requirements for a safe dispersal area and being maintained as such.

cda said:
School district is suppose to take special need education and expenses
AKA taxpayers

Some children can be mainstreamed and some can't.

Shackles are probably the least expensive route for keeping a "runner" from getting out the door very fast.

Schools have become a daycare for some under the guise of "mainstreaming"

JMHO

cda said:
the trouble is not enough info:if this was the only child in the room, there could be a vast ways to do it, but if you have a special needs child main streaming, than you have to take care of all the children in the classroom, so I would say no to hardware over 48" if more children

how about a man trap?????
I believe there are multiple children in the classroom. Would you consider a man-trap safer / more compliant than the other proposed solutions? If one door is open, nobody can open the other door. I have not found mantraps addressed anywhere in the IBC. Have you?

I think one of the special locking arrangements would have to apply

As far as the special needs classroom maybe a meeting between the school and building dept and door hardware supplier might be the best idea

cda said:
I think one of the special locking arrangements would have to apply As far as the special needs classroom maybe a meeting between the school and building dept and door hardware supplier might be the best idea
Thanks Charles. That's exactly what I suggested. The consultant is just trying to come up with some solutions to recommend, so he can be prepared to discuss them with the AHJ.

LGreene said:
Would you allow hardware mounted above 48" in this case? How high is too high?
i would no allow door hardware mounted above 48 inches as it conflicts with too many codes.

brudgers said:
In my opinion, the life-safety needs of the many out weigh the inconvenience of proper staffing by the school district. I will add that a fenced courtyard outside would solve the issue without compromising safety. Of course there isn't door hardware involved in that solution. But all the world isn't a nail.
Lori,

In my opinion, this is the best, and completely compliant, solution to your problem (unless of course you need to fence in the whole buildng).

LGreene said:
Thanks Charles. That's exactly what I suggested. The consultant is just trying to come up with some solutions to recommend, so he can be prepared to discuss them with the AHJ.
If the doors don't open in the way that people expect, Life Safety is compromised. The district can't just turn occupancy E into occupancy I.

I don't think this is one of your nails.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Lori,In my opinion, this is the best, and completely compliant, solution to your problem (unless of course you need to fence in the whole buildng).
If we're just talking about one classroom door and the site plan allows, a fenced area that is large enough would be a good solution. I'll be interested to see how this works out and what solution the local AHJ allows.

Thank you to everyone for your input.

http://news.investors.com/article/612674/201205241856/autism-hysteria-creates-new-federal-welfare-system.htm?p=full

In 1994, medical officials and the Clinton administration broadened the definition to include children who previously might have been thought of as odd.

Today milder conditions, such as speech impediments and extreme shyness, are covered in addition to severe autism under the new umbrella: Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Before the 1990s, when only 1 in 2,500 were diagnosed as autistic, symptoms were obvious. Kids with classic autism didn't speak or make eye contact. They hit themselves. They soiled themselves.

Many even ate broken glass.

Now more than half of autism cases fall under the mildest range of the spectrum, known as Asperger's disorder. These kids fidget. Or brood. Or they may pick their nose and eat only yellow foods. But they are high-functioning students who will be able to hold jobs as adults.

And they shouldn't be labeled mentally disabled.

More labeled kids mean more money for the schools. I don't mean to hijack the thread but don't cave on the code requirements which are ment to provide protection for the masses so a school district can easily accomodate one more student who may or may not need special attention.

I have to agree with mt, and brudgers....outright ignoring code requirements for a select few is a long, steep, slippery slope.

LGreene said:
What should they call it?
A variance is when you break the rules under a specific set of circumstances and is generally considered inferior to the prescriptive path. An "Alternate Solution" is what we use in Canada since it implies that what you are doing is just as good as the code given specific construction materials/methods that are not directly addressed by the code.

Just smile, nod, and back away...

Not something I would want to give any advice on.

What they do after I leave is not any of my business.

I am sorry, but that is just how it is in the world.

This type of issue is beyond my scope of work.

I want to see code compliant egress, not an invented

intervention that could end up costing a life by entrapping

kids in a burning/earthquake/disaster because I allowed

a hotel style chain latch on the door.

I know kids running out is a serious issue, just beyond me.

No much of a help, I know, but this is an interesting topic. Thanks

How about using a "Wandergaurd" type system. The runner would have a bracelet or fob on his person that would lock the doors when he approached unless the teacher or supervisor allowed egress. the doors in question could be put on a timer so that the child could leave during scheduled recess & misc. The doors are typically locked with maglocks that would need to be tied to the fire system. This type of system is most often used in assisted living facilities with alzheimers patients, and O.B. areas of hospitals to make sure babies are not stolen. Good luck.

JimWalsh said:
How about using a "Wandergaurd" type system. The runner would have a bracelet or fob on his person that would lock the doors when he approached unless the teacher or supervisor allowed egress. the doors in question could be put on a timer so that the child could leave during scheduled recess & misc. The doors are typically locked with maglocks that would need to be tied to the fire system. This type of system is most often used in assisted living facilities with alzheimers patients, and O.B. areas of hospitals to make sure babies are not stolen. Good luck.
Thanks Jim. That's one of the solutions that the hardware consultant is going to discuss with the AHJ. I'll report back when they decide what to do.