• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

egress stair from garage basement to outside courtyard

bgalan26

I'm reviewing a mutli-family building with one level of subterranean parking. The architect has one of the exits coming out the rear of the subterranean level up onto a rear courtyard. The opening for the stairway is parallel to a lot line. Is there any requirements in the building code requiring this stair to be enclosed? Section 1009.3, exception 1 reads "in other than Group I-2 and I-3, exit access stairways that serve, or atmospherically communicate between, only two stories are not required to be enclosed". But this stair opens directly to the exterior near a lot line. Would the code mandate an enclosure for such a situation?

The exit is far away from the residential portion where no protection is required to the apartment building.

Thank you!

Is the stair in a setback? Would the building need protection if built there?

I assume you are designing to the 2013 CBC?

It is the 2013 CBC, it is a required exit. The residential building is about 25 feet from the rear lot line where the stair is located.

That was my initial thought. An exterior stairway is defined as a stairway that is open on at least one side. The adjoining open areas shall be either yards, courts or public way. This stair is servicing the basement level. It seems more like an interior stair.

No openings between floors.

Not in a setback

No openings into building above the basement

No fire rating

No enclosure.

1026.5 Location.

Exterior exit stairways and ramps shall have a minimum fire separation distance of 10 feet (3048 mm) measured from the exterior edge of the stairway or ramp, including landings, to adjacent lot lines and from other buildings on the same lot unless the adjacent building exterior walls and openings are protected in accordance with Section 705 based on fire separation distance

STAIRWAY, EXTERIOR. A stairway that is open on at least one side, except for required structural columns, beams, handrails and guards. The adjoining open areas shall be either yards, courts or public ways. The other sides of the exterior stairway need not be open.

The basement stairs would be open as you ascend up the stairs so this section could apply.

Put a rated wall on the open side

All good points, now to get to the actual conditions; bgalan26, please post a sketch of the stair configuration in relation to property line.

mark handler said:
Why? . . . . .
A stair would end at the landing. So is a basement exterior stair a partial open exterior stair when not protected until you reach the landing?

Just asking and if the AHJ calls it an exterior stair then a rated wall may be an option to allow the landing within 10 ft of the property line

I guess a graphic of the condition would be of help. See attached. I believe this stair is more of interior stair. How different would it be if it was coming from a second story? There's 2 questions I need to answer. First, does this stair need to be enclosed? And second, would the code allow the stair to terminate so close to the property line in this case? The exit access travel distance limit is 400 feet for an S-2, sprinklered occupancy per CBC, Table 1016.2. The length of the sub garage is just 120 feet so there's no problem with travel here. I'm thinking that this can be classified as a exit access stairway due to travel distance. CBC, Section 1009.3, Exception 1, eliminates the enclosure requirement for exit access stairways. My next question is regarding the location of the exit discharge and it's proximity to the lot line. CBC, Section 1027 reads "exits shall discharge directly to the exterior of the building. The exit discharge shall be at grade or shall provide a direct oath of egress travel to grade. The egress shall not reenter the building". In this example, these are all met.I'm almost sure this meets all the code requirements. All your help and input is much appreciated!View attachment 2609

View attachment 1182

garage egress stairways.pdf

garage egress stairways.pdf

mtlogcabin said:
A stair would end at the landing. So is a basement exterior stair a partial open exterior stair when not protected until you reach the landing?Just asking and if the AHJ calls it an exterior stair then a rated wall may be an option to allow the landing within 10 ft of the property line
bgalan26 said:
It is the 2013 CBC, it is a required exit. The residential building is about 25 feet from the rear lot line where the stair is located.
Why? . . . . .

The stairs are actually part of the building, the "yard" shown in the plan is actually a deck floor over the parking garage. If 510.2 was used for allowable area and mixed construction types, then the stairs are openings through a two hour rated horizontal floor/ceiling assembly. Fire rated and enclosed stair is required for type IA garage construction.

jdfruit said:
The stairs are actually part of the building, the "yard" shown in the plan is actually a deck floor over the parking garage. If 510.2 was used for allowable area and mixed construction types, then the stairs are openings through a two hour rated horizontal floor/ceiling assembly. Fire rated and enclosed stair is required for type IA garage construction.
I disagree

If the stairs are ouside the building envelope, there is no openings through floors, there does not even need to be a door in a open parking structure.

Not always required.

shown in the plan
what plan? I don't see a plan?

Last edited by a moderator:
mark handler said:
I disagreeIf the stairs are ouside the building envelope, there is no openings through floors, there does not even need to be a door in a open parking structure.

Not always required.

what plan? I don't see a plan?
Do you see it on post 15??

If not he did not pay the entry fee

bgalan26 said:
I guess a graphic of the condition would be of help. See attached. I believe this stair is more of interior stair. How different would it be if it was coming from a second story? There's 2 questions I need to answer. First, does this stair need to be enclosed? And second, would the code allow the stair to terminate so close to the property line in this case? The exit access travel distance limit is 400 feet for an S-2, sprinklered occupancy per CBC, Table 1016.2. The length of the sub garage is just 120 feet so there's no problem with travel here. I'm thinking that this can be classified as a exit access stairway due to travel distance. CBC, Section 1009.3, Exception 1, eliminates the enclosure requirement for exit access stairways. My next question is regarding the location of the exit discharge and it's proximity to the lot line. CBC, Section 1027 reads "exits shall discharge directly to the exterior of the building. The exit discharge shall be at grade or shall provide a direct oath of egress travel to grade. The egress shall not reenter the building". In this example, these are all met.

I'm almost sure this meets all the code requirements.

All your help and input is much appreciated!View attachment 2609
http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/website-discussion/9677-difference-between-sawhorse-registered-member.html

Help keep the forum going!!!

http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

Become a sawhorse