• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress Stair Wall Hung Art

Bobbi_O

Hello all,
I had a request to install art in egress stairs. We are looking at printed metal photo art which meet the fire requirements. They are shallow and would not protrude much at all. This is under NYS Building code. I know the penetration code does not allow certain equipment to penetrate the stairs but this is not a penetration. I cannot find anything that would not allow this. Has anyone come across this before? Before I give my blessings I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.
Thanks

As long as they are secured well enough that they wouldn't become dislodged during an evacuation, out of the way or have no sharp edges that could injure people pushed against them with no ability to catch clothing, purse straps or fingers ... but there's probably a code somewhere that says no can do. .... There is the "woke" police to consider. I am definitely not to be trusted for questions like this.

As long as they are secured well enough that they wouldn't become dislodged during an evacuation, out of the way or have no sharp edges that could injure people pushed against them with no ability to catch clothing, purse straps or fingers ... but there's probably a code somewhere that says no can do. .... There is the "woke" police to consider. I am definitely not to be trusted for questions like this.
Thanks - My first suggestion is to have an artist paint it which takes time but they are considering a metal print with smooth rounded edges secured to the wall and would only protrude maybe 1/4"(?). I was told that they are trying to get people moving so taking the stairs would be a heathier than the elevators. They updated the lighting so its brighter and the art work could make it more appealing. It should not impede the egress.

Check out Section 806, but so long as the prints are truly on metal, no plastic backing, I don't see an issue.

Check out Section 806, but so long as the prints are truly on metal, no plastic backing, I don't see an issue.
Thanks - I have checked and also Table 803.13 with Class A for non-sprinklered buildings. Getting specs from the tenants to review.

How good is the art? Would it interfere with the use as a means of egress if people decide to stop and admire it? That is a stretch, and a bit of sarcasm, but I could see a question coming up about the difference between an exit and a gallery if things went too far. Gosh, I hate that I even thought about this, but what the heck, lets have some fun.

% + % + %

Sifu, ...are you inquiring about the possibility of "being distracted"
during an exiting event ?..........I am surprised that there hasn't
already been an introduction of some language \ Code Section
about distractions [ EX: Look at the number of distractions on
the roads & highways, and now, in to the designs of the various
vehicles ]..........Heck, it no wonder that there are so many fatalities
by the increase in "distracted driving".

O.K., I'm going back down in to my underground bunker now.
Sheesh !

% + % + %

I figure those running for safety won't be distracted, and if they are well....More of a flippant observation about the unlikely event that the art is so good it creates a destination to see the art, possibly clogging the exit.

@ ~ @ > >

Sifu, ...with the continued increase of the extent of the Nanny State,

...humans being expected to behave rationally, even during an emergency,
to me, ...doesn't seem very likely ! :rolleyes:

< < @ ~ @