• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress through a bedroom.

James75

Wanted to get some thoughts on means of egress in a existing residential single family home where there are two egresses are proposed and one goes through a bedroom. My feeling is that it should not be allowed. I know IBC it would not be allowed i believe.

Massachusetts require that in single family home this is an emergence escape and rescue open in each bedroom, along with 2 door off the main level. You can not pass from one bedroom to another to use the EERO

Wanted to get some thoughts on means of egress in a existing residential single family home where there are two egresses are proposed and one goes through a bedroom. My feeling is that it should not be allowed. I know IBC it would not be allowed i believe.

Ok what is the real question??

""means of egress in a existing residential single family home"""

What are they doing ?

James do you mind saying what you do for a living?? Are you an ahj, arch, contrac, other?? helps answer the questions sometimes

Massachusetts require that in single family home this is an emergence escape and rescue open in each bedroom, along with 2 door off the main level. You can not pass from one bedroom to another to use the EERO
Thanks for your reply. This is not the case that you would be passing though one bedroom to another. This is the secondary means of egress that you would have to get to by going through a bedroom.

Thanks for your reply. This is not the case that you would be passing though one bedroom to another. This is the secondary means of egress that you would have to get to by going through a bedroom.

Still trying to figure out why the question??

What are they doing??? Adding a bedroom??

Or existing situation, and you are wondering how it got approved??

Or???

SFD only require a single means of egress (typically the front door). The secondary door is not a means of egress, just an exterior door.

Is this it????

Dwelling units shall be provided with a primary and secondary means of egress in accordance with this section. Each means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the egress doors. The primary means of egress shall not require travel through a garage but the secondary means of egress may. The required egress doors shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

NOTES:
  1. In multi-level dwellings, including but not limited to townhouses, split-level and raised ranch style layouts, the two separate egress doors may be located on different levels.
  2. Where site topography prevents direct access at two remote locations to grade from the normal level of entry, the two separate egress doors may be located on different levels.

If so, this house does not have a front door and a back door????????????

And it gives you the garage as an approved exit.

Ok what is the real question??

""means of egress in a existing residential single family home"""

What are they doing ?

James do you mind saying what you do for a living?? Are you an ahj, arch, contrac, other?? helps answer the questions sometimes
Can your 2nd means of egress be through a bedroom in a residential single family home.

Is this it????

Dwelling units shall be provided with a primary and secondary means of egress in accordance with this section. Each means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the egress doors. The primary means of egress shall not require travel through a garage but the secondary means of egress may. The required egress doors shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

NOTES:
  1. In multi-level dwellings, including but not limited to townhouses, split-level and raised ranch style layouts, the two separate egress doors may be located on different levels.
  2. Where site topography prevents direct access at two remote locations to grade from the normal level of entry, the two separate egress doors may be located on different levels.

If so, this house does not have a front door and a back door????????????

And it gives you the garage as an approved exit.
Yes that is the code im referring to. Its very vague.My argument is that it is not an unobstructed path of travel when you have to go through a bedroom

Yes that is the code im referring to. Its very vague.My argument is that it is not an unobstructed path of travel when you have to go through a bedroom

Looks like you are on the AHJ side of life.

I am guessing if code allows exit through a garage, going through a bedroom not much different.

Seems also, this will be the normal route the tenants use???

You have to go through one bedroom to get to the other????

My argument is that it is not an unobstructed path of travel when you have to go through a bedroom

I guess it depends if it is a teenagers bedroom or not. I could think of more obstructed rooms than bedrooms like a closet, basement, storage room or my office.

Last edited:
IPMC

404.4.2 Access from bedrooms. Bedrooms shall not constitute
the only means of access to other bedrooms or habitable
spaces and shall not serve as the only means of
egress from other habitable spaces.
Exception: Units that contain fewer than two bedrooms.

Mass Fire Code:
NFPA 1 - 2015
Egress Through Intervening rooms
Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit."

How can you provide a a discernible path of egress travel to an exit, in a bedroom.

what happens when they
rearrange the furniture?
Or when they put a privacy lock on the door...

Last edited:
Mass Fire Code:
NFPA 1 - 2015
Egress Through Intervening rooms
Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit."

How can you provide a a discernible path of egress travel to an exit, in a bedroom.

what happens when they
rearrange the furniture?
Or when they put a privacy lock on the door...
Same thing as when they do that in any other occupancy....THEY create a violation....WE do not regulate what might happen....But I would certainly argue that a bedroom is not accessory to another bedroom....

Reactions: cda