• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ELABORATION OF SECTION 722 CALCULATED FIRE RESISTANCE

Mostafa Magdy

Need help in understanding IBC 2018 Section 722 and its plenty of tables attached, is there any video that breaks down the whole chapter bit by bit, also feels lost o_O when I open it and I want to calculate the fire resistance for CMU walls and plaster intuitively.
Appreciate your help.

722.2 is Concrete
722.3 is Concrete Masonry (block)
722.4 is Clay Brick & Tile (structural tile was popular in the early 20th century)
722.5 is Steel
722.6 is Wood
Each one has multiple subsections for different types of fireproofing and finishes. You basically have to go into the subsections one decimal point at a time.

You have to go back into 722.2 to find the contribution of plaster on CMU. Note a to Table 722.2.1.4(2) says:
a. The actual thickness of Portland cement-sand plaster, provided that it is ⅝ inch or less in thickness, shall be permitted to be included in determining the equivalent thickness of the masonry for use in Table 722.3.2.

722.2 is Concrete 722.3 is Concrete Masonry (block) 722.4 is Clay Brick & Tile (structural tile was popular in the early 20th century) 722.5 is Steel 722.6 is Wood Each one has multiple subsections for different types of fireproofing and finishes. You basically have to go into the subsections one decimal point at a time. You have to go back into 722.2 to find the contribution of plaster on CMU. Note a to Table 722.2.1.4(2) says: a. The actual thickness of Portland cement-sand plaster, provided that it is ⅝ inch or less in thickness, shall be permitted to be included in determining the equivalent thickness of the masonry for use in Table 722.3.2.
Thank you, I did but it's hard to me without someone guides me through