• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric Hot water heaters/Disconnect

Ross Lovato

So if I'm reading 422.31(B) correctly, all 300+volts-amperes or 1/8+ horsepower motors need to have a disconnect means. So dose that mean ovens, dishwashers, microwaves, pool pumps, etc. need to have the same disconnect means?

ya, I got that. But if they were permanently connected, It would need to be in sight of the panel, or have a lockable breaker, or some other means of disconnect? I'm a little confused. Have I been missing these on inspections??

Ross Lovato said:
So if I'm reading 422.31(B) correctly, all 300+volts-amperes or 1/8+ horsepower motors need to have a disconnect means. So dose that mean ovens, dishwashers, microwaves, pool pumps, etc. need to have the same disconnect means?
Almost all motors need a disconnect unless less than 1/8 hp. Electric water heaters need a disconnect at the water heater or shall have a lock on the circuit breaker. Personally I think the lock at the overcurrent protective device will never get used in a residence. We always have the disconnect in sight of the water heater.

Although ranges and ovens require a disconnect it seems that no one in this area enforces a lockout on the cb.