• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric meter addressing?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Wondering how many of you require an address or suite letter on a multi-gang electrical meter cabinet like you would see on an apartment or tenant building, is it required?

Ok this is in ifc

Check your wording to see if it matches

Section 509 Fire Protection and Utility Equipment Identification and Access

509.1.1 Utility identification.​

Where required by the fire code official, gas shutoff valves, electric meters, service switches and other utility equipment shall be clearly and legibly marked to identify the unit or space that it serves. Identification shall be made in an approved manner, readily visible and shall be maintained.

CDA,
Thanks for finding that, I have requested that multi gang electric meters at tenant remodels that I inspect place a minimum1-inch address or suite letter sticker near the electric disconnect and most have obliged. Had a question come up on a bank of gas meters and could not fine anything. It does say gas shut-off valves and not meters, so a slight code amendment would be needed for the gas meters. That's a good place as any to modify the requirement for gas meters, I think.

I think that the utility would require it so they could tell whose meter is being read, or whose power they are cutting off.