• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric service feed up foundation

Jdz

i am trying to figure out the best way to keep the outside of a building clean and thought about running the electrical service feed up the foundation, keeping it in the wall, using a flush mount meter base. I cannot find any requirements for the thickness of the foundation if I do this and I was wondering if there are any requirements.

Not into electrical, put you might just check with your electrical utility provider first,

To see if they allow it,

Give the thread a day or two for replies

They allow it, they have drawings for it on their website. There just aren’t any numbers for foundation thickness or anything like that. I figure that will have more to do with building codes.

Make the foundation wider to offset the notch or hole resulting from the introduction of the conduit.

% = >

Jdz,

Also, Welcome to The Building Codes Forum !

Can you post a Link of those drawings, or provide the
name of the company and maybe we can research
their technical specs. for you ?

Thanks !

< = %

8" block would have large enough cores to run the conduit in the block. The masons will grumble, but they can lift the blocks over the conduit to lay them.

@ ~ @

Jdz,

I recommend that you contact the Bldg. Official
in the area where the residence will be constructed.
They "should" be able to provide you with the minimum
foundation thickness required for a residential foundation.

Is the horizontal foundation what you are concerned with,
or the footings, both or something else ?......What is the
applicable Code & edition you are using ?

If you were referring to a section of plumbing piping
passing thru a foundation wall, then you might want to
look at Section P2603.4, in the `15 IRC as a reference.

@ ~ @

I plan on using poured concrete for the foundation, I am not a fan of stacking blocks for a foundation. Since the footings need to be 2” wider that the foundation wall, I need to know how thick to set the forms. I really don’t want to pour a 10” foundation if I can put it in a 6” foundation wall. I also don’t want the foundation cracking on me. IBC 2015 fyi