• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric Vehicle Charging Systems

north star

Sawhorse
$ ~ $

I have been assigned \ volun-told to participate in a project to

have an Electric Vehicle ( EV ) Charging System installed on to
a Federal gov't.
facility.

The system itself
WILL NOT be connected to the existing facility
bldg., rather, ...it will have its own elec. service feed, in to a transformer,
then in to a wholly separate elec. panel with a meter, and also
connected to the one of the facility back-up generators.

I am requesting for your input on these types of systems.

Q1): What, if any, Accessibility issues are involved ?.......I won't
need any ADA Sections identified at this time, ...mainly just your
thoughts.

Q2): What other issues have you experienced with these systems ?

Thanks for any input !

$ ~ $

If it s over the curb, possibly obstructed forward reach?....Somewhere around 48" reach max.....If they are adjustable output, size the wires for the largest. GFCI possibly....

$ $ > < $ $

Thanks ** steveray ** for the input !

The current plans are to have the Level I, Level II & the
Level III, Dual Charging [ capability ] Pedestals installed,
meaning (1) Pedestal between two parking spaces.

I'm thinking well marked, wide Access aisles for the
two parking spaces, with the Pedestal towards the
rear end of the spaces........There will be vans, SUV's,
1/2 ton pickups and some 3/4 ton & up, sized work
vehicles.

I'm wondering about the controls & lettering on the
Pedestals being Accessibility compliant; as well as,
other Accessibility considerations.

Y'all please keep the ideas & info coming. :)

< < $ $ > >

I have a document by the Access Board called "Design Recommendations for Accessible Electric Vehicle Charging Stations", last updated 8/11/2022 which has requirements for the ADA, ABA and the Rehab Act of 1973. The 2021 IBC also has requirements. Glancing at these requirements it appears to be a little more involved then your assuming.
Good luck, Ken

2021 IBC:

1107.1General.​

Electrical vehicle charging stations shall comply with Section 1107.2. Fuel-dispensing systems shall comply with Section 1107.3.
apps

1107.2Electrical vehicle charging stations.

Electrical vehicle charging stations shall comply with Sections 1107.2.1 and 1107.2.2.
Exception: Electrical vehicle charging stations provided to serve Group R-2, R-3 and R-4 occupancies are not required to comply with this section.
apps

1107.2.1Number of accessible vehicle spaces.​

Not less than 5 percent of vehicle spaces on the site served by electrical vehicle charging systems, but not fewer than one for each type of electric vehicle charging system, shall be accessible.
apps

1107.2.2Vehicle space size.​

Accessible vehicle spaces shall comply with the requirements for a van accessible parking space that is 132 inches (3350 mm) minimum in width with an adjoining access aisle that is 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum in width.

We have recently been involved with this type of design and curbs are a no-no for accessibility/barrier free.

( = = = )

Rick, as I understand the applicable Standards, the facility uses
the Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Standards (ABAAS),
"most current" edition.

( = = = )

Under the ADA and ABA Accessibility Standards, EV charging stations must comply with the technical requirements for floor and ground surfaces (§302), clear floor or ground space (§305), reach ranges (§308), operable parts (§309), accessible routes (§402), and other provisions when needed, such as some of the provisions in parking (§502), signs (§703), and fare machines (§707). See 36 C.F.R. §1191.1.

EV chargers developed, procured, maintained, or used by federal agencies must also comply with the revised Section 508 Standards. See 36 C.F.R. §1194.1, App. A and C. This includes that the user interface (UI) be accessible. EV chargers which do not incorporate a display screen would not be required to be speech-output enabled, but are still ICT and would have accessibility requirements if they are any more complicated than just plugging it in.

( + + + + )

The Backup Generator is connected to a natural gas supply line.

( + + + + )

Worked on a few of these lately for layout and plans, client is a distributor of Leviton ChargePoint units.

The key issue I can make is that you need to know exactly which units and what manufactures you will be using, before you plan your parking layout, they all have limits and reach points that you have to design for.
  • Example, water run off directions, even though most of the units are designed to work fine in 16-inches of water, you still don't want the drainage in that direction for pooling.
  • Additionally, depending on the speed of the charger and if either is single or dual, I found putting 8ft wide access walkways next to van spots and only doing 8ft wide spots work better than 11-ft wide parking spots with smaller access walkways.
    • I tend to do 9-ft wide spots when planning for these now seems to work nicer at the locations and yes they do loose one spot, but I have added in smaller motorcycle spaces in places to offset.
  • Also depending on equipment, some are designed to be daisy chained and some are direct home runs only and others interconnect processing low voltage issues.
  • Then there is the CT cabinet location and bollards and wheel chuck block spacing with the access.
    • The layout below is 9ft wide spots and 11ft wide van spots with 6ft access aisles.
      • This is an older design with 11ft and 9ft spots, I would suggest increasing the aisles to 8ft, by reducing the 11ft spots to 9ft.
    • This is for a brewpub parking lot, all 4 spots are EV, and all 4 are ADA compliant.
Chargepoint layout.PNG

& ~ & ~ &

Thank you ** tbz ** !

Q): What is a "reach point" ?

& ~ & ~ &
Each EV Charging unit has a usable line length with a manufacture designated maximum reach point.

Basically, how long the cable is said to be able to reach safely. I added some ChargePoint information for their Fast Charger.

Slow Charge Reach point.PNG

Chargepoint Fast Charge Unit reaches.PNG
Chargepoint Fast Charge Unit.PNG

Last edited:
I have inspected a few commercial EV charging stations. They were all overbuilt similar to cell tower equipment locations. The federal government is going to spend billions on these; there needs to be a standard plan that provides for something less than the bomb proof construction that I've seen so far.

tbz … do you add a HC sign at any of those spaces?
My understanding is they are not needed, as they are not specifically designated for HC use only, as parking spaces would be.

On the other hand, bathrooms are used by both and they are marked when accessible.

I have only been doing the drawings for a distributor who passes my work over to the purchaser and installer as electronic reference material only, they still need to get a local designer to complete the balance of what is needed for permits to be pulled.

However, by offering the service, they have found they are selling more units now because they have a jump start on the process.

The electrician and or contractors are marketing and selling the units to businesses and supplying turnkey solutions.

My part has been allowing the distributor to provide a site specific set of options on a clients property, from GIS data.

But, back to your direct question, I have not seen signage going in unless the local AHJ, has requested through A117.1 enforcement.

Not sure how they get there, I look at it more like an elevator, they all have to be accessible, as thus plan ahead, not on a penny.

I have inspected a few commercial EV charging stations. They were all overbuilt similar to cell tower equipment locations. The federal government is going to spend billions on these; there needs to be a standard plan that provides for something less than the bomb proof construction that I've seen so far.
ICE,

The only thing that I have seen that I have been questioning as over kill is the size of the foundation and that has been a manufacture specification I am still trying to figure out.

-Chargepoin+, requires the footing to be a minimum of 12-inches below frost depth for the area, by product specification. Thus, other than that they are pretty simple for slow charge stations.

For the slow charge stations, this is not one of my jobs, just one I saw locally, but shows the minimum amount of work they are doing to install them around here. Just noticed the signage in the picture E.H., looks like accessible signs, but they are not. I would also say the paving job needs some work also. But this is what I am seeing pop up at the local eateries and other short term dining and drinking establishments.

16273.jpeg