• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric Water Heater on Non Combustible Surface

Glennman CBO

Silver Member
Anyone ever read in the installation manual for an electric water heater the requirement that it be installed on a hard, non combustible surface?

I don't have a manual to refer to, and this is coming from an adjacent jurisdiction, but the inspector had the builder remove the R-10 foam pad from under the heater due to an apparent reference from the installation manual that the water heater be installed on a hard, non combustible surface. In our jurisiction, there is a requirement for R-10 insulation to be installed if its being placed on a concrete slab.

I don't know how many I've approved where the heater is on a wood floor, and in a plastic pan to boot (gas of course needs a metal pan).

Anyone ever run across this, and have you ever read this in an installation manual?

Thanks all!

Glennman CBO said:
Anyone ever read in the installation manual for an electric water heater the requirement that it be installed on a hard, non combustible surface?I don't have a manual to refer to, and this is coming from an adjacent jurisdiction, but the inspector had the builder remove the R-10 foam pad from under the heater due to an apparent reference from the installation manual that the water heater be installed on a hard, non combustible surface. In our jurisiction, there is a requirement for R-10 insulation to be installed if its being placed on a concrete slab.

I don't know how many I've approved where the heater is on a wood floor, and in a plastic pan to boot (gas of course needs a metal pan).

Anyone ever run across this, and have you ever read this in an installation manual?

Thanks all!
I just pulled the IOM's of the four major manufactuers and there is nothing noted.

Maybe depends on manufacture

This water heater is approved for installation on either a combustible or non-combustible floor. However, should this water heater be installed directly on carpeting, the carpeting must be protected by a wood or metal panel beneath the water heater. This panel must extend at least 3” (7.6 cm) beyond the width and depth of the water heater. Should the water heater be installed in an alcove or closet, the entire floor area must be covered by the panel. The panel must be strong enough to carry the weight of the water heater when it is full of water.

http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-437.pdf

"""" this is coming from an adjacent jurisdiction, but the inspector had the builder remove the R-10 foam pad from under the heater due to an apparent reference from the installation manual """"

must have been a slow inspection day. reads the code and the install manual

cda,

The building inspector is the "official manual reader on all projects", someone has to interpret the pictures!

pc1

Sorry all,

Nothing like starting an urban legend... turns out the water heater was a gas water heater instead of electric.

Glennman CBO said:
Sorry all,Nothing like starting an urban legend... turns out the water heater was a gas water heater instead of electric.
What was the first clue??