• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric Water Heater

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Would you write up this crawlspace install?

I would.

What code in the IRC covers this?

IMG_5431.JPG

Re: Electric Water Heater

Jeff is that glare from your camera or the required lighting outlet per 210.70(A)(3)?

It did have the required lighting but I never turn the lights on in the crawlspaces as my flashlight works better and I am not "blinded by the light"

Manfred Mann's Earth Band

In the IRC? Table 3702.1 under NM column. Our state adopts the NEC for residential and commercial, so 334.30(2008) as stated above, would apply.

P2803.6.1 Requirements for discharge pipe. The discharge

piping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature- relief

valve or combination valve shall:

7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable

by the building occupants.

mueller said:
P2803.6.1 Requirements for discharge pipe. The dischargepiping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature- relief

valve or combination valve shall:

7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable

by the building occupants.
Good point but this is an Electrical topic :)

Prediction,

This is going to be a looong thread.

Uncle Bob

mueller said:
oops :shock:
Just remember you are the one that is responsible for making UB's prediction.....hahahaha :mrgreen:

PORTEOUS said:
Yes, 3702.1, and maybe 3509.6, although I cannot tell if there is pex above the copper
Educate me....What does Pex above the copper have to do with anything at this point? Were you thinking the short sections of copper need to be bonded per 250.104 ? Just asking.

Jar,

How about posting the water heater on "Residential Plumbing"; so we can take this baby to the next level; without compromising the Electrical discussion?

This can be a great plumbing topic,

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob said:
Jar,How about posting the water heater on "Residential Plumbing"; so we can take this baby to the next level; without compromising the Electrical discussion?

This can be a great plumbing topic,

Uncle Bob
Done

Greg, I was thinking the short sections would not need bonded as the are interupted and not continious by the pex. Is this interpretation correct? Thanks, Bill

PORTEOUS said:
Greg, I was thinking the short sections would not need bonded as the are interupted and not continious by the pex. Is this interpretation correct? Thanks, Bill
Short sections of metal water piping do not constitute a "piping system" and therefore are not required to be bonded in accordance with 250.104(A).

Chris

raider1 said:
PORTEOUS said:
Short sections of metal water piping do not constitute a "piping system" and therefore are not required to be bonded in accordance with 250.104(A).

Chris

Porteous and Chris yes that was my point. I mis understood you and read too much between your lines. I thought maybe you were thinking that the copper stub ups were requiring bonding.