• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical Boxes and Masonry

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Although there is nothing "wrong" with this installation, I would have done it a little differently, I would have wrapped the entire outside of the box in self stick ice and water shield and then attached it so that when I had to go back in a few years, it wasn't rotted out as bad and it would make it easier to replace if I had to.
Thoughts?
IMG_3755.JPG

Never seen NM embedded in masonry before...Isn't the ground wire "supposed" to be wrapped the other way?

Good catch! I did not see the ground wire wrapped backwards. I missed that!

They drilled through the block so it is not embedded. Good electricians will run the NM cable through smurf tube for the transition.

The ground wire ... from a practical perspective, i think the clockwise wrap was/is more important with stranded wire, so it has less tendency to come apart as the screw is turned. With a bit of care, solid wire can be successfully wrapped either way.

Reactions: ICE
Although there is nothing "wrong" with this installation, I would have done it a little differently, I would have wrapped the entire outside of the box in self stick ice and water shield and then attached it so that when I had to go back in a few years, it wasn't rotted out as bad and it would make it easier to replace if I had to.
Thoughts?
View attachment 4128
A problem with any selfadhesive flashing is that they don't form to complex shapes very well, especially if you're depending on it staying put after you turn your back on it. A better solution might be a rubber or plastic boot that might provide a slip plane should the box need replacement after the stucco is applied. Of course we don't build for sustainability in this country, for example, if we cared about making buildings maintainable we would never just side up to a window or door without any trim. I'm sure we all see it every day. How much does the cost of a window replacement effort go up if the carpenter has to remove the siding to change the window?
Bill

Hi there! I'm a new member of this forum so I really want to receive help and advice from all of you guys. Thanks!