• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical Room Do's and Dont's...

After trying to decipher the NEC... is when I started looking for a place like this! I am going to explore the IFC and attach the section that refers to electrical room storage to this guy's work order and give him a deadline to get the stuff out!! :)

I am not the supervisor... yet... just kidding. I am onsite and I am not his direct boss-I just happen to do all kinds of things on property and I don't want to babysit someone who is a maintenance supervisor who should know better and be telling me that nothing can be stored in there!!

With a dumpster room I believe you would only have issue with regard to the fire sprinklers (I assume they are sprinklered?)

First and foremost you would not want to obstruct the discharge of the fire sprinkler. Secondly you would not want to place a fuel load in there that the fire sprinkler was not designed to contain. There are much more qualified people here that can give details on that.

I would just say that a dumpster room would not be a suitable place to store the gasoline for the grounds maintenance equipment. Ladders and rakes would not be an issue imho.

"I just wanted to be able to show the guy that it's not me being ocd aboutcleanliness or organizational skills-that the code is the code!!
It's O.K. to be ocd!......Just ask anyone on here........We embrace our afflictions! :D * * * *

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, my family's motto is "Embrace the Crazy"...of course they all live far far away in Maine so I don't have to deal with their afflictions too often!! I'm going to pull up the IFC (see how I've already caught on to the lingo?) and pull up the section that refers to my situation...so maybe by Friday this won't be an issue... but I'm sure there will be something else by then... ah, the joys of property management!!

So before I drive myself crazy... do I have to buy the IFC book? or join and pay a membership fee? I just want to quote the darn thing!! :)

% % % %

From the 2006 IFC, Section 315.2.3.

315.2.3 - Equipment rooms.

"Combustible material shall not be stored in boiler rooms, mechanical rooms

or electrical equipment rooms."

% % % %

My firm designed a resort in a Caribbean island nation where there essentially was no code - - they relied on the design professional's expertise. We reviewed this with the developer, who in turn consulted with their insurance company. In the end we voluntarily decided to follow the Florida codes.

If you don't find an applicable code section, consider asking your insurance company. They may be able to give you the guidelines you are looking for to enforce the issue with your maintenance staff.