• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical Room Lighting

globe trekker

Do any of you require Emergency Lighting in the Electrical Rooms, ...maybe as part

of the MOE ( refer to section 1006.1, 2006 IBC ):

SECTION 1006 MEANS OF EGRESS ILLUMINATION:

1006.1 Illumination required.

The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times

the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

Exceptions:1. Occupancies in Group U.

2. Aisle accessways in Group A.

3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Groups R-1, R-2 and R-3.

4. Sleeping units of Group I occupancies.

Thanks for your input!

Absolutely, and it is rare that an MEP tries to wiggle out of it. If they balk at it I point to IBC 1205.1 and say you must provide the space with light whether the electric is working or not. Then I tell them how some maintenance man may be checking the breaker box in the dark and the power might come back on while his hand is groping around in the wrong place. The law suit will read MEP talks AHJ into not putting in emergency lighting.

gbhammer,

Thanks for your input!

Are the electrical rooms intended for human occupancy, ...by code?

People go in there and do work.

OCCUPIABLE SPACE. A room or enclosed space designed

for human occupancy in which individuals congregate for

amusement, educational or similar purposes or in which occupants

are engaged at labor, and which is equipped with means

of egress and light and ventilation facilities meeting the requirements

of this code.

gbhammer said:
Absolutely, and it is rare that an MEP tries to wiggle out of it. If they balk at it I point to IBC 1205.1 and say you must provide the space with light whether the electric is working or not. Then I tell them how some maintenance man may be checking the breaker box in the dark and the power might come back on while his hand is groping around in the wrong place. The law suit will read MEP talks AHJ into not putting in emergency lighting.
1006.3 Illumination emergency power. The power supply for means of egress illumination shall normally be provided by the premises' electrical supply.
The code is quite specific about when the egress illumination must be connected to an emergency electrical system.

Unless the electrical room is required to have two exits or other trigger such as a FAC how does one require egress lighting to be fed by an emergency electrical system?

imhotep said:
The code is quite specific about when the egress illumination must be connected to an emergency electrical system.Unless the electrical room is required to have two exits or other trigger such as a FAC how does one require egress lighting to be fed by an emergency electrical system?
imhotep,

I get it

We have amendments to the IBC/IFC that require emergency lighting of toilet rooms, sprinkler riser room/area, fire pump room, and FACP room/area.

NEC 2008 700.16 EMERGENCY ILLUMINATION. shall include egress, exit signs, and all other lights specified as necessary to provide required illumination.

Our department since the adoption of the ICC family of codes has always required emergency illumination in electrical rooms, and multi user bathroom groups; mainly because both of those areas have safety issues (one life the other health). All of us know that the code and its intent will never be nailed down so that everyone sees it the same way. My predecessors made a rule and I in the name of consistency have maintained it. They believed that because the building was required to be illuminated, that the NEC 700.16 gave them the authority to require emergency lighting in any space they felt could be a danger to its occupant if the power went off. The community for the most part is used to it. I won’t change it.

Still: I get it.

gbhammer,

I don't believe that I can sell the idea that this particular, existing electrical room

is a habitable space. The wording of "engaged at labor"; to me, seems to

indicate a sustained activity being performed on a regular basis. I agree that

the room should / ought to have the emergency lighting, but I just do not believe

in reading the letter of the code that it will be accepted here.

Maybe on our next round of code adoption, we can include some language to

require it.

"Do you put emergency lighting in multi user bathroom groups?"
In the interest of providing the restroom user(s) adequate lighting to finish theiractivities ( assisting in sanitary / hygiene practices ) and safely navigate to the

exit door, we have "requested" emergency lighting to be installed. Also, because

the restrooms are required to be Accessible, then MOE lighting / emergency

lighting is required ( Section 1007.1, 2006 IBC ).

I don't see where either habitable space or accessible MOE factor in. I read IBC 1007.1 and can find no reference to emergency power for means of egress illumination. Would you point me to what you are reading?

Section 1006.1 - SECTION 1006 MEANS OF EGRESS ILLUMINATION

The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times

I would believe that if the room or area does not require 2 exits, then emergency illumination is not required, only normal illumination from the fixture in the room. 1006.3 seems to spell out the areas that need emergency power backups. Restrooms and the like seem to have them because of OHSA interpretations. When do we start putting exit signs in these rooms? Seems alittle extreme for normally small areas.

globe trekker said:
Section 1006.1 - SECTION 1006 MEANS OF EGRESS ILLUMINATION 1006.1 Illumination required.

And then the question devolves to the power supply does it not?

1006.3 Illumination emergency power.

The power supply for means of egress illumination shall normally be provided by the premises’ electrical supply.

In the event of power supply failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate the following areas:

1. Aisles and unenclosed egress stairways in rooms and spaces that require two or more means of egress.

2. Corridors, exit enclosures and exit passageways in buildings required to have two or more exits.

3. Exterior egress components at other than the level of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits.

4. Interior exit discharge elements, as permitted in Section 1024.1, in buildings required to have two or more exits.

5. Exterior landings, as required by Section 1008.1.5, for exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits.

The emergency power system shall provide power for a duration of not less than 90 minutes and shall consist of storage batteries, unit equipment or an on-site generator. The installation of the emergency power system shall be in accordance with Section 2702.

Back to GT's question - I feel that electrical rooms should have emergency lighting. The means of egress includes "any occupied portion of a building..." Woe to the electrician who is in the dark electrical room with open panels & boxes and now must grope around in the dark to get out.

imhotep,

As I understand the "letter" of the code, I am interpreting Section 1006.1 to mean the

occupiable spaces wouild require the MOE Emerg. Lighting. I am applying the

Accessible requirement for MOE to the restrooms, to request / require the Emerg.

Lighting. Please forgive me, but I still am not seeing how I can "require" Emerg.

Lighting from a non-occupiable / non-Accessible space ( the Electrical Room ).

Please help me to understand! ...and Thank You for the discussion. I am

always trying to learn, interpret and apply correctly the codes & standards.

The means of egress , including the exit discharge , shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

Requires the means of egress to be illuminated

The power supply for means of egress illumination shall normally be provided by the premises' electrical supply.

Dictates they need to be powered by electricity versus gas powered lights

In the event of power supply failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate all of the following areas:

1. Aisles and unenclosed egress stairways in rooms and spaces that require two or more means of egress .

2. Corridors , exit enclosures and exit passageways in buildings required to have two or more exits .

3. Exterior egress components at other than their levels of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits .

4. Interior exit discharge elements, as permitted in Section 1027.1, in buildings required to have two or more exits .

5. Exterior landings as required by Section 1008.1.6 for exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits .

Unless your restroom or electrical room is required to have two exits then you can't require emergency illumination just because you feel like it is a good idea. You have to have a local ammendment. The key is not if the area in a room is part of a MOE the key is two exits have to be required first before you can require emergency illumination in a building or space

As it happens, my most recent electrical room (just this morning) is required to have an emergency power system - the requirement comes from the health care rules for dialysis centers, not from building codes. I also understand that building codes don't require EM lights, but still think it would be a good idea.

mtlogcabin said:
1006.1 Illumination required.The means of egress , including the exit discharge , shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

Requires the means of egress to be illuminated

The power supply for means of egress illumination shall normally be provided by the premises' electrical supply.

Dictates they need to be powered by electricity versus gas powered lights

In the event of power supply failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate all of the following areas:

1. Aisles and unenclosed egress stairways in rooms and spaces that require two or more means of egress .

2. Corridors , exit enclosures and exit passageways in buildings required to have two or more exits .

3. Exterior egress components at other than their levels of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits .

4. Interior exit discharge elements, as permitted in Section 1027.1, in buildings required to have two or more exits .

5. Exterior landings as required by Section 1008.1.6 for exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits .

Unless your restroom or electrical room is required to have two exits then you can't require emergency illumination just because you feel like it is a good idea. You have to have a local ammendment. The key is not if the area in a room is part of a MOE the key is two exits have to be required first before you can require emergency illumination in a building or space

I agree 100%, Unless the restroom or electrical room requires 2 or more exits it is not required to have emergency illumination.

Chris

Thanks to everyone for your input! I have learned something new with this

discussion.

We will have to add some language to our next code adoption to address

this. Our fire dept. personnel definitely wants Emerg. Lighting in the

electrical room, as would most electricians or other emergency responders.

NEC 700.16 - Emergency Illumination: emergency illumination shall include all required means of egress lighting, illuminated exit signs, and all other lights specifed as necessary to provide required illumination.

That's pretty general, I realize, however if the NEC doesn't specifically address electrical rooms, it's probably not required (I wouldn't use a motion sensor, though). Fire fighters are going to have lights with them anyway.