• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical service required?

Berkshire Al

I own a cabin, constructed in the 1930's on a remote property in Massachusetts, about 8,000 feet and up rugged trails from the nearest street. The current (ninth edition) of the MA State Building Code is based upon the 2015 IRC, which includes a modified version of Appendix J pertaining to existing buildings and structures. The cabin is in poor condition, and I'm evaluating the 4 options under Appendix J - 1) repair, 2) renovation, 3) alteration or 4) reconstruction.

Critical to my evaluation is to understand what is required in association with each of these options. Unlike the repair and renovation options, both alteration and reconstruction require (amongst other things) that electrical services meet certain minimums. See sections AJ501.5.1 and AJ501.5.2 below. The cabin presently does not have any electrical service, and I'd say it would be prohibitively expensive and/or impractical to connect to the street nearly 2 miles away. I do not intend or wish to install an electrical service, as this is a primitive cabin. If I am going to perform an alteration or a reconstruction, do I need to install electrical service? AJ501.5.1 refers to "Newly installed electrical equipment...shall comply...". If there is no electrical equipment being serviced, is it fair to conclude that the provisions related to electrical equipment and wiring (including service to the dwelling unit) do not apply? As an alternative option, would it be possible to comply with these provisions through the installation of a generator?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions,
Al

AJ501.5.1 Materials and methods.
Newly installed electrical equipment and wiring relating to work done in any work area
shall comply with the materials and methods requirements of Chapters 34 through 43.
Exception: Electrical equipment and wiring in newly installed partitions and
ceilings shall comply with the applicable requirements of Chapters 34 through 43.

AJ501.5.2 Electrical service.
Service to the dwelling unit shall be not less than 100 ampere, three-wire capacity and
service equipment shall be dead front having no live parts exposed that could allow
accidental contact. Type “S" fuses shall be installed where fused equipment is used.
Exception: Existing service of 60 ampere, three-wire capacity, and feeders of 30
ampere or larger two- or three-wire capacity shall be accepted if adequate for the
electrical load being served.

Be sure you have read the MA, amendments, the electrical code is amended out of the 2015 IRC in Massachusetts.

Welcome to the forum.
Does your cabin meet the definition of dwelling unit?
2015 IRC, Chapter 2 Definitions provides:

"DWELLING. Any building that contains one or two dwelling units used, intended, or designed to be built, used, rented, leased, let or hired out to be occupied, or that are occupied for living purposes."

"DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation."

Crude though this cabin may be, and limited its provisions, I would say that it does meet the definition of a DWELLING. It contains a bedroom, a kitchen, a stove, a masonry fireplace, and (outside) a privy.

Be sure you have read the MA, amendments, the electrical code is amended out of the 2015 IRC in Massachusetts.
Thank you. I think I've found what you are referring to. Massachusetts Amendments - Chapters 34 through 43: Electrical:

"For the electrical provisions of Chapters 34 through 43 of 780 CMR 51.00, see 527 CMR 12.00: Massachusetts Electrical Code (Amendments). Provisions of 527 CMR 12.00 related to work otherwise governed by 780 CMR 51.00 shall be retained if not in conflict with other sections of 780 CMR 51.00."

I'll have to find 527 CMR 12 and give it some study. Thanks again.

I think of all the Amish farms around me - new and old - with no electrical service.

Is there an "if there is electrical service" it has to meet the minimums?

Googling question, I found NY residential code:
NY]E3401.
Owner-occupied one-family dwellings and accessory structures shall not be required to be provided with electrical power, wiring, devices and equipment, subject to the approval of the building official.

For MA, seems it's required for tenants and seems if there, it has to meet code, but not finding it as clear as NY.

Take out a permit to repair the structure. Don't mention the lack of electric service and don't propose making the cabin any larger. Keep it simple. The Berkshire Mountains are a beautiful place and you will likely be dealing with an inspector that has a common-sense view of the matter. Just my humble opinion.

Take out a permit to repair the structure. Don't mention the lack of electric service and don't propose making the cabin any larger. Keep it simple. The Berkshire Mountains are a beautiful place and you will likely be dealing with an inspector that has a common-sense view of the matter. Just my humble opinion.
I think that's good advice. I've contemplated doing just that.

Sounds as if the building department will likely not know that you are doing any work on the cabin unless you file an application for a building permit. They may not even know there is an existing cabin there.

Is it better to ask forgiveness, or is it better to ask permission? I suspect that if a question is raised that the final resolution will be more influenced by political considerations rather than technical provisions. If you take this route, I would consult with and architect and an engineer.

I fear that if you attempt to make every thing compliant with the current code that electrical service may be the lesser of your problems. It would likely be cheaper to provide electric power by installing some solar panels and a Tesla power wall acting in island mode.

I

Sounds as if the building department will likely not know that you are doing any work on the cabin unless you file an application for a building permit. They may not even know there is an existing cabin there.

Is it better to ask forgiveness, or is it better to ask permission? I suspect that if a question is raised that the final resolution will be more influenced by political considerations rather than technical provisions. If you take this route, I would consult with and architect and an engineer.

I fear that if you attempt to make every thing compliant with the current code that electrical service may be the lesser of your problems. It would likely be cheaper to provide electric power by installing some solar panels and a Tesla power wall acting in island mode.

Is it better to ask forgiveness, or is it better to ask permission? A very good and relevant question. And, I have hemmed and hawed about this very question for quite some time now. If I knew with certainty that I could repair what I have without introducing the need for all kinds of other improvements (electricity, energy efficiency, insulated windows, drinking water, graded lumber, etc.), then I would ask permission. But, I am also cautious to ask permission when I don't know the outcome of the request. I will continue to study the codes.

R104.10 Modifications.
Where there are practical difficulties involved in carrying out the provisions of this code, the building official shall have the authority to grant modifications for individual cases, provided the building official shall first find that special individual reason makes the strict letter of this code impractical and the modification is in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code and that such modification does not lessen health, life and fire safety or structural requirements. The details of action granting modifications shall be recorded and entered in the files of the department of building safety.

I would definitely have a difficult time making someone install electrical service in this situation.

Typically repairs and associated requirements are based on the scope of work. If there is no electrical in the scope of work, we would not apply anything without a specific mandate on it.

R104.10 Modifications.
Where there are practical difficulties involved in carrying out the provisions of this code, the building official shall have the authority to grant modifications for individual cases, provided the building official shall first find that special individual reason makes the strict letter of this code impractical and the modification is in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code and that such modification does not lessen health, life and fire safety or structural requirements. The details of action granting modifications shall be recorded and entered in the files of the department of building safety.
This gives the building official a lot of discretion. From your perspective this discretion may appear appropriate but that may be subjective. While some have suggested that they would not require electrical installation what would keep a particular building official from requiring full compliance. This creates a lot of uncertainty for the building owner. Remember the electrical requirements are not the only requirements.

If we were talking about a cabin that had previously been permitted the best approach may be to file for a permit but if the building was not previously permitted could not a building official require that the building comply with the current building code. In that case maybe it makes sense to tear the existing building down. If the building had been previously permitted and the Existing Building Code was applicable the building official would likely be more constrained.

In California I believe there is a law that provides for a means of determining the year the building was constructed and thus from a legal perspective the code upon which it was permitted.

If an individual were to adopt a strategy that potentially involved asking for forgiveness, I would recommend that he first talk with an engineer and an architect to understand the implications but also to verify that the proposed work did not create an unsafe condition.

Here is one of the ways CT handles it....

(Amd) R110.1 Use and occupancy. Pursuant to subsection (a) of section 29-265 of the Connecticut
General Statutes, no building or structure erected or altered in any municipality after October 1, 1970, shall
be occupied or used, in whole or in part, until a certificate of occupancy has been issued by the building
official, certifying that such building, structure or work performed pursuant to the building permit
substantially complies with the provisions of this code. Nothing in the code shall require the removal,
alteration or abandonment of, or prevent the continuance of the use and occupancy of, any single-family
dwelling but within six years of the date of occupancy of such dwelling after substantial completion of
construction of, alteration to or addition to such dwelling, or of a building lawfully existing on October 1,
except as may be necessary for the safety of life or property. The use of a building or premises shall
not be deemed to have changed because of a temporary vacancy or change of ownership or tenancy

I do not believe the IRC requires that all buildings have water, sewer or electrical installed in the dwelling. If you choose to install them then there is a code to follow, and that code does not require you to be connected to an electrical grid

I do not believe the IRC requires that all buildings have water, sewer or electrical installed in the dwelling.

Section R306 Sanitation

R306.1 Toilet Facilities

Every dwelling unit shall be provided with a water closet, lavatory, and a bathtub or shower.

R306.2 Kitchen

Each dwelling unit shall be provided with a kitchen area and every kitchen area shall be provided with a sink.

R306.3 Sewage Disposal

Plumbing fixtures shall be connected to a sanitary sewer or to an approved private sewage disposal system.

R306.4 Water Supply to Fixtures

Plumbing fixtures shall be connected to an approved water supply. Kitchen sinks, lavatories, bathtubs, showers, bidets, laundry tubs and washing machine outlets shall be provided with hot and cold water.

Yeah if you're not interesting in getting it established as a "legitimate" dwelling but you still want it on record call it something different. Maybe start with the local zoning code or land use code and see what types of uses are permitted for that property? Then when you're applying for a permit stay away from the residential code and look at options in the IBC or whatever your local equivalent is. You might be able to get away with a S or U occupancy. As others have stated talk to the local AHJ (Building Official or equivalent). Better yet, talk to other locals and try to get an idea of what kind of person your AHJ is, if they're reasonable and level headed this could be very easy for you.

Lets not get too far OT.....The IEBC is where you need to look, if you are just repairing it, you shouldn't have to do anything else...If you are moving walls and stuff around, you may have to add receptacles technically, but unless you get to change of occupancy, I do not believe there is anything that should require you to add a service.....Even in the strictest reading....