• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

electronic touch bar

seems to meet the code requirement for activation/release with less than 15 pounds, does the magnet latch qualify as part of the rated assembly holding for the door closed?

Another question would be if i have heavy clothing on will it release?

TheCommish said:
seems to meet the code requirement for activation/release with less than 15 pounds, does the magnet latch qualify as part of the rated assembly holding for the door closed? Another question would be if i have heavy clothing on will it release?
Some will not release if cloth between the skin and bar.

I think I have been convinced for now an electronic touch bar is not equal to panic hardware .

Does not carry UL listing for panic hardware

May not work if clothing in the way

Relies on electronics to release the door, which might fail

Interesting. Securitron specifically says "no mechanical action". Is it like the old touch-sensitive pads, where it senses change in capacitance? If so, then I'm not sure how it works through gloves and clothes.

Yikes said:
Interesting. Securitron specifically says "no mechanical action". Is it like the old touch-sensitive pads, where it senses change in capacitance? If so, then I'm not sure how it works through gloves and clothes.
Not sure the manner in which they work, but some touch bars will not work through cloth/ clothes/ gloves

The mag locks release by sensing a capacitance discharge. Yes clothing, gloves, etc. will interfere hence the back up release switch on the Securitron bar near the hinge end and depending on the jurisdiction a wall mounted kill switch - or not.

I am highly skeptical that the touch bar is equivalent to "panic" hardware, if you need a separate "release" switch or "kill" switch, then someone has to know that there is a separate release if the sensor doesn't work = special knowledge.

Ronald, the bulletin is useful, but I am concerned about the wording of this phrase: "The listed hardware is capable of being operated with one hand."

Getting back to the issue of door hardware that operate by sensing a change of capacitance via touching with the skin:

A person who does not have a hand (amputee) - - or a person whose hand is covered by a glove - - might not be able to exit the building, and yet the hardware still meets code.

Unlocking the door with a motion sensor is also a common means of unlocking the door and would be best used for a handicapped person (quad in a motorized wheelchair). What you give up is security though, in that anyone passing by or waiting in the sensors range is unlocking the door. The security is at its highest with the touch sense bar and at its lowest with a motion sensor. All of this theorizing goes on while "areas of refuge" are an accepted practice. In the perfect scenario there would be a "handicapped capable door" amongst a wall of touch sense bars. With all of this said, I am strongly opposed to having the mag lock being the last and only defense for the building security.