• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevated walking surface

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Proposal to construct an elevated walkway through a public park. At no point does the height of the walkway exceed 30". It does not connect any buildings, simply a walkway between two points in the park, about 800' long. By IBC definition, it is a structure, but so is a sidewalk, which has no IBC definition. Sidewalks are exempt from a permit per 105.2. Is this? If not, which sections apply? By ch. 10, IBC 1001.1 first scopes MOE from buildings or portions thereof. It then includes structures. The definition of building is "supporting" human occupancy. This does not meet the definition for occupiable space. If this is not an occupiable space, is it "supporting" human occupancy ("supporting" can be defined in different ways depending on the context)? Ch. 16 scopes "structures" regulated by the IBC. I can't find a clear path to say this is regulated by the IBC (I don't really want to find one either).

Proposal to construct an elevated walkway through a public park
If not, which sections apply?
Accessible route from one place to another? Picnic area to playground area or between pavilions. It is in a public park I would think it should comply with ADA. Would I want a permit and inspect it? No way! Farm it out to a third party.

[A] 110.4 Inspection agencies.
The building official is authorized to accept reports of approved inspection agencies, provided that such agencies satisfy the requirements as to qualifications and reliability.

Walkway vs sidewalk​

A walkway is a path or route designed for pedestrian use, often found in public areas such as parks, campuses, and residential neighborhoods, as well as in private properties like gardens and yards. It can be narrower than a sidewalk and is often used for recreational purposes like jogging, biking, or strolling.
On the other hand, a sidewalk is a paved path or way beside a road, typically found in urban areas, designed for pedestrian use. It is often made of concrete or asphalt and is a more formal and structured path compared to a walkway.
In summary, while both walkways and sidewalks are designed for pedestrian use, the key differences lie in their location, purpose, and design. Walkways are often found in more relaxed or recreational settings, while sidewalks are typically found in urban areas and are designed for more formal pedestrian use.

1715206659214.png

Elevated walkways are also commonly used to cross environmentally sensitive areas. Highway departments might have requirements if they are on public property. They still need to meet a reasonable expectation of safety even if there are no code requirements that specifically apply.

It would be prudent to design them for 100 PSF live load since ATVs, groups of joggers, or other concentrated loads might use them. Guardrails should be provided as for other raised walking surfaces. They need to meet accessibility requirements, so raised curbs should be provided at the sides for cane detection of the edges.

Well, I really don't want building department involvement. It is a public park, and is submitted for plan review to the building department by the municipality's parks/public works department. I will let the CBO of the municipality make the call, but am looking for reasons to advise him not to get involved. It is a premanufactured system, complete with engineering and appears to satisfy the structural requirements as well as the accessibility requirements, except the only issue is there are 11 changes of elevation, provided with some amount of pitched walkway, only there are no slopes or details for the them. They also failed to provide a foundation plan of any sort, leaving that up to "others". There is a curb, and a 4x4 "rail" but without slopes and maybe compliant handrails if the rise of the ramps exceed 6" FWIW, it appears to meet all the other requirements. In other places, in similar projects, they tend to want an "approval" but balk at the requirements necessary for that approval. In this case, if ch. 10 is off the table, they really only need to provide a foundation system as long as the changes in elevation are ok. The structural plans show a pile foundation "by others" of about 150 piles. I think they could be subject to the US Access Board requirements for trails and recreation areas, but that may be limited to projects on federal property. They appear to meet those requirements. The IBC and ANSI standard do not appear to scope them, nor can I find anything in the ADA outher than where they connect to a building.

In short, other than the missing foundation system, and the ramp (or not) info I think they are fine, I just don't want to open the door to these projects if I don't have to.

It would be prudent to design them for 100 PSF live load since ATVs, groups of joggers, or other concentrated loads might use them. Guardrails should be provided as for other raised walking surfaces. They need to meet accessibility requirements, so raised curbs should be provided at the sides for cane detection of the edges.
Yes, they meet all of this. Even specifics for ATV's.

I volunteer with a local land trust that has a lot of undeveloped land with trails. A lot of board walks, some raised but few 30", and I've seen none with curbs. No permits required here for this work. I'd guess there are lots of trails like this elsewhere.

Is the consensus this is illegal?

I volunteer with a local land trust that has a lot of undeveloped land with trails. A lot of board walks, some raised but few 30", and I've seen none with curbs. No permits required here for this work. I'd guess there are lots of trails like this elsewhere.

Is the consensus this is illegal?
It is not my opinion. But I am in the position of telling the AHJ that I don't want to review it since I don't have applicable code. Doesn't mean it is without requirements, just that I think it is beyond my mandate. I have also volunteered at an area facility with nature trails, and spent quite a bit of time repairing and maintaining the large boardwalks. No permit required there. They are specifically for wheelchair access to the forest, and have the expected challenges that would come with a boardwalk (I think it is a mile long) in the mountains. As I said, I really don't want to inflict code any more than I have to.

If it's higher than 30" I'd expect guards but these kind of structures don't lend themselves to curbs. The outdoor wilderness environment is tough on things like these.

If it's higher than 30" I'd expect guards but these kind of structures don't lend themselves to curbs. The outdoor wilderness environment is tough on things like these.
This one has paid attention to more than most I have seen. It is very stout, with a steel frame, 4x8 treated plank flooring, 4x4 curbs, 4x6 rails. There is a notation that at no point shall it ever exceed > 30". I think they have done there homework. If I have to proceed with it all I need is to determine if the changes of elevation are great enough to be considered ramps, and if they would require a handrail, and some sort of plan for the piles.

This one has paid attention to more than most I have seen. It is very stout, with a steel frame, 4x8 treated plank flooring, 4x4 curbs, 4x6 rails. There is a notation that at no point shall it ever exceed > 30". I think they have done there homework. If I have to proceed with it all I need is to determine if the changes of elevation are great enough to be considered ramps, and if they would require a handrail, and some sort of plan for the piles.
Perhaps difference of public park and miles away from much civilization.