• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator? 2 stories and a basement - A-2's and R-2.

Ryan Schultz

Does the following scenario require an elevator to the basement?
I assume it does not, under the following logic.
Per 1107.6.1.2, since there’s less than 3 dwelling units on the 2nd floor, the 2nd floor is not an accessible story.
Per 1104.4, since the basement area is less than 3000sf, it does not need to be accessible.
This is a Type VB, unsprinklered.

1709149873781.png

Followup question, if there was (3) residences on the 2nd floor, I assume an elevator would be required, correct?

? 3000ft?...I think that's in 1103...And of course....New or remodel?

1104.4 Multilevel Buildings and Facilities​

At least one accessible route shall connect each accessible story, mezzanine and occupied roofs in multilevel buildings and facilities.
Exceptions:
  1. An accessible route is not required to stories or occupied roofs, or mezzanines that comply with Sections 1103.2.15 and 1103.2.16, respectively.
  2. Stories, mezzanines or occupied roofs that do not contain accessible elements or other spaces as determined by Section 1108 or 1109 are not required to be served by an accessible route from an accessible level.
  3. In air traffic control towers, an accessible route is not required to serve the cab and the floor immediately below the cab.
  4. Where a two-story building or facility has one story or mezzanine with an occupant load of five or fewer persons that does not contain public use space, that story or mezzanine shall not be required to be connected by an accessible route to the story above or below.

Last edited:
Sorry...CT amends that:

1104.4 Multistory buildings and facilities.​

At least one accessible route shall connect each accessible story, mezzanine and occupied roofs in multilevel buildings and facilities.
Exceptions:
  1. 1.An accessible route is not required to stories, mezzanines and occupied roofs that have an aggregate area of not more than 3,000 square feet (278.7 m2) and are located above and below accessible levels. This exception shall not apply to:
    1. 1.1.Multiple tenant facilities of Group M occupancies containing five or more tenant spaces used for the sales or rental of goods and where at least one such tenant space is located on a floor level above or below the accessible levels.
    2. 1.2.Stories or mezzanines containing offices of health care providers (Group B or I).
    3. 1.3.Passenger transportation facilities and airports (Group A-3 or B).
    4. 1.4.Government buildings.
    5. 1.5.Structures with four or more dwelling units.
  2. 2.Stories, mezzanines or occupied roofs that do not contain accessible elements or other spaces as determined by Section 1108 or 1109 are not required to be served by an accessible route from an accessible level.
  3. 3.In air traffic control towers, an accessible route is not required to serve the cab and the floor immediately below the cab.
  4. 4.Where a two-story building or facility has one story or mezzanine with an occupant loadof five or fewer persons that does not contain public use space, that story or mezzanine shall not be required to be connected by an accessible route to the story above or below.

Commentary:

The 3,000 square feet does not include the area of the accessible level. For example, if a building had a second floor that is 2,000 square feet (186 m2) and a basement that is 2,000 square feet (186 m2), since the aggregate area of the basement and second floor is 4,000 square feet (372 m2), at least one of the two floor areas would be required to be connected to the entrance level by an accessible route.

But again...that is new...using the IEBC, you may only have to spend the 20%....306.7.1

1104.4 Multistory Buildings and Facilities
"At least one accessible route shall connect each accessible story and mezzanine in multilevel buildings and facilities."

Is there's only (2) residences, per 1107.6.1.2, the 2nd floor is not considered an 'accessible story', so it's square footage would not be included in the 'aggregate' calculation, correct?

1104.4 Multistory Buildings and Facilities
"At least one accessible route shall connect each accessible story and mezzanine in multilevel buildings and facilities."

Is there's only (2) residences, per 1107.6.1.2, the 2nd floor is not considered an 'accessible story', so it's square footage would not be included in the 'aggregate' calculation, correct?
I think technically you should be in a different section, but I don't know that it changes the answer...I think you are R3 (<3 units) unless I am hung up on our amendments again

1107.6.3 Group R-3.​

In Group R-3 occupancies where there are four or more dwelling units or sleeping units intended to be occupied as a residence in a single structure, every dwelling unit and sleeping unit intended to be occupied as a residence shall be a Type B unit. Bedrooms within congregate living facilities, dormitories, sororities, fraternities, and boarding houses shall be counted as sleeping units for the purpose of determining the number of units.

What is the existing condition? The building? The use groups in the building?

You could try calling the state building code office. I worked on a project about 15 years ago in Superior, WI and the office for that part of the state answered my questions over the phone.

You mentioned 1107.6.1.2, which is in Group R-1 [hotels, motels, boarding houses (more than 10 occupants) and congregate living facilities (more than 10 occupants) where the occupants are primarily transient in nature.] Table 1107.6.1.1 requires 1 Accessible unit when the total number of units provided is 1 - 25.

From the 2015 IBC
1709160313810.png

Chapter 10 of ICC A117.1 (PA is still on the 2009 version)
1002 Accessible Units
1002.2 Primary Entrance
The accessible primary entrance shall be on an accessible route from public and common areas. The primary entrance shall not be to a bedroom unless it is the only entrance.

I'd say especially in Madison Wisconsin (Though maybe the project isn't in Madison. Lots of places in Wisconsin you'd get away with it, just not Madison IMHO.)