• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator Lobby For Single Occupancy Self Storage Building Classified as A Occupancy

ArtC

Hello,
I have a 3 story self storage (single occupancy S-1) building with elevators for access to the upper floors. For security, at ground floor elevator location, walls are used to control access and space is labeled as Elevator LOBBY. The plan checker commented that per CBC 1004.5, LOBBIES and similar standing spaces shall consider an OLF of 5. So this LOBBY will have an occupant load of 80. The rest of the floors occupant load is 60 (28,000 sq. ft.).

What code section can I cite so to convince the plan checker that this particular lobby is NOT an A occupancy.

Thank you.
Art

Additional info.

1. Lobby is approx. 500 sq. ft.
  2. Access -People renting 2nd or 3rd floor storage units will use the elevator to load /unload. It serves as building entrance also including access to the first floor.
  3. No other use for the lobby,’
  4. Access is controlled. To get into the building. To get up the elevators and to access the first floor storage.
Thank you

Art

Short of walloping them up the side of the head with the code book, point out that Section 1004.5 does not say elevator lobbies are required to be considered assembly uses for the same reason corridors, stairs, and ramps are not considered assembly uses. Elevator lobbies are purely for circulation and not for the gathering of civic, social, recreational, or eating/drinking purposes.

Thank you Ron. Your response makes a lot sense than what I had in mind. I was going with a gentle tap with the code.
The rest of the verbiage is perfect.
Art