• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator Requirements for 3 story existing mult-use building

alacreative

Hello everyone,

I have an existing 3 story building with 2 floors residential and ground floor commercial (3 floors total) located in Massachusetts. We need to comply with 521 CMR, but my questions is weather or not we need an elevator. I'm finding things in 521 that are suggesting its not needed, however it's unclear. I did a 2 story mult-use building a few years ago that did not need one, and also have been involved in 6 story multiuse that did. Is there a floor limitation that triggers this? Thank you in advance!

Anthony

In order to get to what the code requires, need more info:

Is the existing building to be remodeled?

If remodeled; scope?

Date of original construction? code edition in effect for original construction?

CMR 521 for elevators does include the conditions for where elevators are required or exempted in new construction. You need to read the requirements for how they relate to your project and get a bit more specific on the question.

This will be a renovation and historic restoration of the project. Basically gutting the interior and changing its use. Original construction date was in the early 1800's.

What code are you under? change in use. over 3 floors and 3,000sf per floor would require elevators here.

I can't remember what MA uses for existing buildings....IEBC? Ch 34 or their own? If it is actually historic chapter 12 IEBC might be the place....

SECTION 1204 ALTERATIONS

1204.1 Accessibility requirements.

The provisions of Sections 705, 806 and 906, as applicable, shall apply to facilities designated as historic structures that undergo alterations, unless technically infeasible. Where compliance with the requirements for accessible routes, entrances or toilet rooms would threaten or destroy the historic significance of the building or facility, as determined by the code official, the alternative requirements of Sections 1204.1.1 through 1204.1.4 for that element shall be permitted.

Exception: Type B dwelling or sleeping units required by Section 1107 of the International Building Code are not required to be provided in historical buildings.

1204.1.1 Site arrival points.

At least one main entrance shall be accessible. 1204.1.2 Multilevel buildings and facilities.

An accessible route from an accessible entrance to public spaces on the level of the accessible entrance shall be provided.