• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Eliminate predatory ADA lawsuits

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Eliminate predatory ADA lawsuits

By John Selk

Posted: 08/18/2011 06:18:50 PM PDT

http://www.sbsun.com/pointofview/ci_18712378

When President George H.W. Bush signed the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) civil rights law in 1990, the intent was to prohibit discrimination based on disability and provide complete access for the disabled in public places. Sadly, opportunists have abused the law by filing tens of thousands of ADA lawsuits meant not to improve access for the disabled, but to extract money from small business owners, especially in California.

A loophole in the law allows professional plaintiffs in California to win monetary awards from noncompliant businesses of up to $4,000 per technical noncompliance. Because businesses often settle rather than pay litigation costs, these lawyers collect outrageous fees for ADA violations without ever ensuring the business owner improves accessibility.

Now, thankfully, Congressman Duncan Hunter is proposing a common sense solution, H.R. 881 - The ADA Notification Act of 2011 - that would eliminate thousands of predatory ADA lawsuits and actually improve public access for disabled individuals.

Currently, the ADA is enforced entirely through civil litigation, and the law does not require any notice before a lawsuit can be filed. Many ADA lawsuits are filed for issues of relatively minor noncompliance - such as a sign being the wrong color or having the wrong wording. Due to California's lawsuit-friendly legal climate, 42 percent of ADA lawsuits filed in the United States are filed in California, causing many small businesses to close and wiping out jobs.

Rep. Hunter's common-sense proposal would require a plaintiff to provide a defendant with notification and an opportunity to correct a violation voluntarily before the plaintiff may commence a civil action and force the business owner to incur legal costs.

California legislators have repeatedly rejected reforms like H.R. 881 at the state level. In 2008, the California Legislature created the California Commission on Disability Access, but the commission has failed make any significant progress in reducing abusive claims. Despite the commission's best intentions, California's accessibility standards continue to conflict with federal laws, and exceed 500 pages of minutely detailed standards that change constantly. Most small business owners are unable to determine with certainty the exact changes they need to make to comply with the law, and those few who can afford it have to hire costly experts. Unfortunately, because the law is so subjective, the experts often disagree, leaving the business open to costly lawsuits.

Under H.R. 881, potential plaintiffs would think twice about filing lawsuits with false, inappropriate or exaggerated claims because the law provides time to properly fix any ADA violations. H.R. 881 would limit the number of lawsuits that could be filed to only those in which a defendant was truly unwilling to make appropriate changes, and would ensure that our legal system's limited resources are expended only for cases in which they are truly needed.

Eliminating frivolous lawsuits would have the added benefit of allowing legitimate claims to move through the legal system faster.

In San Bernardino County, one attorney filed more than 100 ADA access lawsuits for a handful of clients, alleging that each had encountered problems at dozens of different businesses on the same street. However, depositions of three of the plaintiffs confirmed that they knew nothing about the locations the lawyer claimed they visited, suggesting they had never even gone to these businesses.

In another instance, one small business reported spending an entire year's profit on the settlement and legal fees from a single ADA lawsuit. The defendant later learned the plaintiff was completely unaware of the majority of claims his attorney made.

Cases such as these make it clear that some lawsuits alleging ADA violations are not intended to increase access for the disabled, but just to line the pockets of attorneys at the expense of local businesses and jobs.

H.R. 881 would stop these abusive tactics because the defendant would receive a letter stating exactly how they were noncompliant so they could fix the problem. The letter is reviewed by the courts, so an attorney will be less likely to make false or abusive claims. Under the current system, many ADA/accessibility lawsuits are filed with very unspecific allegations to give the defendant direction on what needs to be improved.

California needs to take a hard look at reforming ADA regulations. As our economy struggles to recover, we need to focus on job creation - not costly litigation. Rep. Hunter understands that in California, we need more jobs, not more lawsuits.

John Selk owns a small business in

Rancho Cucamonga. He lives in Claremont

This article is bull****, because the lawsuits described are generally being filed under California law, not the ADA which Bush signed...not to mention that the reason all the businesses are being sued is because of their willful non-compliance.

I doubt that " the reason all the businesses being sued is because of thier wilful non-compliance" is an accurate statement. This proposal offers a non judicial approach for issues to be identified, reasonably addressed, and resolved. There were accessibility provisions in the codes long before the ADA came along. The requirements were addressed as most building code requirements were. Any avenue that allows for discussion and compromise as a step before lawyers and lawsuits is a good step IMHO.

Finally, a common sense approach to closing the loophole and allowing a business to have a chance to comply before going to court. As someone who is in CA and has a slew of non-compliant buildings in my jurisdiction, if this would make it easier to comply, I'm for it. Let's try mitigating measures before suing.

Alias said:
...allowing a business to have a chance to comply before going to court. ..
On the other hand it is a twenty year old law, business owners have had twenty years to comply ..... There is no grandfathering, which leeds to the idea of "...willful non-compliance."

How long do you allow nonconformance to the building or property maintenance codes

mark handler said:
On the other hand it is a twenty year old law, business owners have had twenty years to comply ..... There is no grandfathering, which leeds to the idea of "...willful non-compliance."How long do you allow nonconformance to the building or property maintenance codes
Mark -

When you have no permits, no building, and no remodeling of existing buildings, it is pretty hard to force the business to install a new ADA bathroom, etc. On the other side, when there is a remodel/TI, all the ADA/CA accessibility is covered at the time of construction.

Before I was hired, no one enforced much of anything in reference to the building codes, never mind ADA/CA accessibility regs. I have been educating the business owners and encouraging them to do the upgrades. There is a lot of non-compliance, and, from someone who knows what it is actually like to sit in a wheelchair, I get very frustrated at times. I am not condoning what is happening, but, change here takes a while and it is hard to get anyone to voluntarily comply when they aren't even sure they will be in business next week. We've lost at least a half dozen businesses here in the past year, and will probably lose more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coug Dad said:
I doubt that " the reason all the businesses being sued is because of thier wilful non-compliance" is an accurate statement. This proposal offers a non judicial approach for issues to be identified, reasonably addressed, and resolved. There were accessibility provisions in the codes long before the ADA came along. The requirements were addressed as most building code requirements were. Any avenue that allows for discussion and compromise as a step before lawyers and lawsuits is a good step IMHO.
Yep, they were addressed just like other building code issues and that's the problem. Civil rights is not building code - we didn't grandfather in 14 hour work days for eight year olds or colored only drinking fountains. But hell, I'd like to use that excuse every time the tax code changes.

Sue

It is not your job to enforce the ADA.

I know it's hard, and I too get frustrated at times.

Alias said:
Finally, a common sense approach to closing the loophole and allowing a business to have a chance to comply before going to court. As someone who is in CA and has a slew of non-compliant buildings in my jurisdiction, if this would make it easier to comply, I'm for it. Let's try mitigating measures before suing.
If you are the one suing, that's your prerogative. But just out of curiosity, would you apply the same rationale to speeding? "Gee officer you can't give me a ticket because I slowed down once you got behind me and turned on your lights."

Sue this might help

http://www.ada.gov/smbusgd.pdf

161-smbusgd.gif

The whole ADA should be reformed (state and federal), a read a study stating that over 50% of the Disabled placards in San Francisco were issued by doctors to people who weren't really disabled, parking is very difficult in San Francisco, go down a street and you'll see the vast majority of parked cars with ADA placards, they take most of the parking spaces, and it's a big money loser for the city since they park free.

Another problem is that obese people qualify, we make life as uncomfortable as possible for smokers and drinkers, obesity is a bigger health problem than either of those of so-called vices, yet going into a Costco Store you see the majority of those electric carts are being driven by obese people, obesity is a lifestyle choice like smoking and drinking, should we be punishing over-drinking and smoking, but rewarding over-eating?

In the construction end of things we should be more concerned about the health threatening aspects of modern building materials so people don't end up so ill that they need special accommodation from society.

I'm not familiar with what statute these California lawsuits are being filed under, I was under the impression the only way to file suit against someone who didn't comply with is the ADA standards was through a Federal lawsuit in district court. If there's an easier way I don't know about it. That being said there needs to be a way for handicapped people who were unable to access a business to force them to comply without the necessity to go to Federal Court. In many areas, including here in Louisville Kentucky, local code officials do nothing to enforce the standards.

As mentioned above the standards have been in affect for over 20 years, there's no excuse for a business to be ignoring them!

brudgers said:
If you are the one suing, that's your prerogative. But just out of curiosity, would you apply the same rationale to speeding? "Gee officer you can't give me a ticket because I slowed down once you got behind me and turned on your lights."
No, it's more like "Gee officer here's six thousand dollars for what I don't even know (many lawsuits are settled without the problem even being addressed) or "Gee officer, we were going 30.01 miles an hour instead of 30 miles an hour and now we have to pay thousands of dollars (many lawsuits have been for being outside of the rules for safety bars and the like by a matter of inches) or "Gee officer, this is a Model T, why are you ticketing me for not having turn signals and all of the bells and whistles of a modern car". We've been totally screwed by this insane legislation passed to help trial lawyers rip off architects, contractors and businessmen.

conarb said:
Another problem is that obese people qualify, we make life as uncomfortable as possible for smokers and drinkers, obesity is a bigger health problem than either of those of so-called vices, yet going into a Costco Store you see the majority of those electric carts are being driven by obese people, obesity is a lifestyle choice like smoking and drinking, should we be punishing over-drinking and smoking, but rewarding over-eating?
I am certainly glad that you can tell who is disabled and who isn't, and that you can tell that obesity caused a disability, instead of PERHAPS the other way 'round, , , geeesh.

Yankee said:
I am certainly glad that you can tell who is disabled and who isn't, and that you can tell that obesity caused a disability, instead of PERHAPS the other way 'round, , , geeesh.
Yankee:

In the Costco stores I've made it a point in the checkout lanes to look at the contents of the baskets on the electric carts, without fail they are loaded with large quantities of fattening foods, in contrast looking at the baskets of thin people I see no fattening foods. While it is true that inactivity caused by disability can cause obesity, in each case I've seen of that the people were obese prior to becoming immobile. I had a good friend, a brilliant former opera singer, he was always overweight, as he became worse his knees gave out but was told that replacement knees wouldn't support over 200 pounds so he had to get down to 200 pounds before they would operate, being sedentary he couldn't lose weight and eventually fell and died in his apartment with no-one to help him. Before issuing disabled placards physicians should be required to diagnose the cause of the disability, and if it's from poor lifestyle choices discipline the physicians for issuing them. To say that obesity is genetic is true in many cases, but so are other addictions, and look at how society is treating people with addictions. This is to say nothing of the fact that, at least here in California, there are many more disabled placards issued than there are disabled people, San Francisco has been making a big issue of this because of the lost income from parking meters, and they need lots of income to pay the salaries, pensions, and health benefits of the public servants.

conarb said:
Yankee:In the Costco stores I've made it a point in the checkout lanes to look at the contents of the baskets on the electric carts, without fail they are loaded with large quantities of fattening foods, in contrast looking at the baskets of thin people I see no fattening foods. While it is true that inactivity caused by disability can cause obesity, in each case I've seen of that the people were obese prior to becoming immobile. I had a good friend, a brilliant former opera singer, he was always overweight, as he became worse his knees gave out but was told that replacement knees wouldn't support over 200 pounds so he had to get down to 200 pounds before they would operate, being sedentary he couldn't lose weight and eventually fell and died in his apartment with no-one to help him. Before issuing disabled placards physicians should be required to diagnose the cause of the disability, and if it's from poor lifestyle choices discipline the physicians for issuing them. To say that obesity is genetic is true in many cases, but so are other addictions, and look at how society is treating people with addictions. This is to say nothing of the fact that, at least here in California, there are many more disabled placards issued than there are disabled people, San Francisco has been making a big issue of this because of the lost income from parking meters, and they need lots of income to pay the salaries, pensions, and health benefits of the public servants.
I'm glad your one friend has given you so much insight into the thousands of reasons and types of disability. And I am sure that you are correct, there are many more placards issued than there are even disabled people. For sure. Why look! That guy isn't limping! Arrest the sod!

Yankee said:
I'm glad your one friend has given you so much insight into the thousands of reasons and types of disability. And I am sure that you are correct, there are many more placards issued than there are even disabled people. For sure. Why look! That guy isn't limping! Arrest the sod!
I hope you never become disabled, like I am, and while you can find a handicapped parking space watch twenty something able bodied people jump out of their car that they are using grandma's placard for! The abuse of handicapped parking is getting ridiculous, I think any new Lexus, BMW or Cadillac is automatically issued a handicapped permit so they don't have to park where they can get their doors banged!

Another ridiculous fact, at least here in Kentucky, is that you are able to get 2 placards when you go to the DMV! It's not as if they're difficult to move from one vehicle to the other and issuing 2 just encourages abuse! South Carolina from what I've read is at least trying to address the problem by putting the recipient's picture on the placard. That way if a person parking vehicle or in the vehicle is not that person a ticket can be issued! I'm sure even the system will be abused but it's at least a step in the right direction.

Msradell said:
I hope you never become disabled, like I am, and while you can find a handicapped parking space watch twenty something able bodied people jump out of their car that they are using grandma's placard for! The abuse of handicapped parking is getting ridiculous, I think any new Lexus, BMW or Cadillac is automatically issued a handicapped permit so they don't have to park where they can get their doors banged!Another ridiculous fact, at least here in Kentucky, is that you are able to get 2 placards when you go to the DMV! It's not as if they're difficult to move from one vehicle to the other and issuing 2 just encourages abuse! South Carolina from what I've read is at least trying to address the problem by putting the recipient's picture on the placard. That way if a person parking vehicle or in the vehicle is not that person a ticket can be issued! I'm sure even the system will be abused but it's at least a step in the right direction.
I don't disagree that abuse of placards should be addressed. There are many types of disabilities and they might not be visible to the casual observer. For instance, there is a young lady of my acquaintance who is diagnosed with Lupis and has a limited amount of energy to walk about and do her public business. As to the placard picture, not a bad idea however my daughter at one time had a job as driver for a disabled person. In your scenario, if she were to pull into the reserved spot in order to pick up her client from an appointment, with her clients placard attached, , , Again, I don't like to see the system abused either but take a look at your own assumptions.

conarb said:
The whole ADA should be reformed (state and federal), a read a study stating that over 50% of the Disabled placards in San Francisco were issued by doctors to people who weren't really disabled, parking is very difficult in San Francisco, go down a street and you'll see the vast majority of parked cars with ADA placards, they take most of the parking spaces, and it's a big money loser for the city since they park free. Another problem is that obese people qualify, we make life as uncomfortable as possible for smokers and drinkers, obesity is a bigger health problem than either of those of so-called vices, yet going into a Costco Store you see the majority of those electric carts are being driven by obese people, obesity is a lifestyle choice like smoking and drinking, should we be punishing over-drinking and smoking, but rewarding over-eating? In the construction end of things we should be more concerned about the health threatening aspects of modern building materials so people don't end up so ill that they need special accommodation from society.
If you can't beat em, join em. You can apply based on mental capacity.

I would simply argue that people hardly can spend money to repair or mitigate buildings for ADA if the lawyers are robbing the business owners of money to do the ADA fixes when they as a business still need do this and that that is necessary for their business which is more important that ADA. You can't operate a restaurant without cooking equipment and tables for customers. You have to do this and that or there is no money for ADA compliance but if the lawyers are suing then what your budget gets dwiddle down to where you can only do one or the other when the original intent may have been to do both but the lawyers aren't helping anyone but themselves. They aren't even helping the disabled people.

It should be addressed in every possible measure prior to litigation and after numerpus harassment suits, people then say - F*** THIS, I ain't doing it. How is that helping anyone. It should be encouraged to be done vs. predatory harassment suits.

Rick, I understand where you're coming from but, then needed to meet ADA requirements is just as necessary as having the proper equipment to cook in your scenario. When they decided to open the restaurant they should have taken this fact into consideration. If they have been open the entire 20+ years the ADA has been in effect they should have been able to put aside enough money to reach compliance by now.

RickAstoria said:
I would simply argue that people hardly can spend money to repair or mitigate buildings for ADA if the lawyers are robbing the business owners of money to do the ADA fixes when they as a business still need do this and that that is necessary for their business which is more important that ADA. You can't operate a restaurant without cooking equipment and tables for customers. You have to do this and that or there is no money for ADA compliance but if the lawyers are suing then what your budget gets dwiddle down to where you can only do one or the other when the original intent may have been to do both but the lawyers aren't helping anyone but themselves. They aren't even helping the disabled people.It should be addressed in every possible measure prior to litigation and after numerpus harassment suits, people then say - F*** THIS, I ain't doing it. How is that helping anyone. It should be encouraged to be done vs. predatory harassment suits.
Rick,

Well said.

There are too many cases here in CA (see Mark Handler's posts) of one person literally going down the sidewalk at a mall or shopping area and then calling an attorney to file lawsuits against 5, 13, 20, or more businesses in ONE day. I think that this qualifies as harassment. Use the money to modify the building to meet ADA rather than to line the pockets of lawyers and their clients. No wonder CA is losing businesses left and right, it's all the litigation.

mark handler said:
Mark -

Thanks, I found it a few years ago. I am also the city's 'ADA compliance specialist'. I use the term loosely because nobody asks me before doing a project. Case in point - Nothing like coming in Monday after a nice weekend to find a counter installed with teller windows at 48" in height. Yep, thanks for asking before installing........and it has never been fixed.............. :banghd