• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Eliminate predatory ADA lawsuits

brudgers said:
The only reason that someone can file ten suits a day on a single block is because everybody has bet that they won't get caught failing to comply.
So, I should just go home and break out my wheelchair to cruise Main Street and see how many lawsuits I can file......

brudgers said:
To put it in perspective, most of those businesses have accountants to keep them out of trouble.
Not here, only a couple of tax preparers.

brudgers said:
They have lawyers too.
Not on retainer.

brudgers said:
It's not that they are unaware, just that they don't see compliance as an necessary expense.
Horse puckey!

brudgers said:
And when the cost of being caught is only doing what should have already been done, it is no surprise that nothing is done without a suit.
Not here in CA......costs a lot more and has sunk some 'Mom & Pops'.

brudgers said:
Then it ain't ADA.
California Laws & Regulations

Unruh Civil Rights Act

California Civil Code Sections 54 through 55.2

Title 24 California Building & Standards Code (Physical Access Regulations)

California Government Code Section 11135-11138

Fair Employment and Housing Act

Federal Laws

Rehabilitation Act

Americans with Disabilities Act

Title I

Title II

Title III

Title IV

Air Carrier Access Act

Which is worse, business and property owners who don't know about the law, or Lawyers, ADA Compliance Consultants, architects, and AHJ's who advocate enforcement to profit from enforcement of the law?

And the $64 dollar question, why do both Mark Handler and Brudgers, both architects, seem to be obsessive/compulsive about ADA?

conarb said:
why do both Mark Handler and Brudgers, both architects, seem to be obsessive/compulsive about ADA?
Maybe it has to do with intelligence

Why is conarb, So fixated on badmouthing Architects, and not including Contractors in his one sided conspiracy theories.

Just so you know, person of little to no knowledge, I have done three Access surveys in the last three years, all for local businesses and all for free. I have never charged for an access survey.

Conarb, How many windows have you given away or installed for free? How many times have you offered to go to court, for free

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark:

I'm not bad-mouthing architects, I wouldn't build a dog house without one, I've got the greatest respect for architects, wanted to be one myself but found that I'm not an artist. I've done ADA compliance in new buildings and remodels and profited from it, but have never advocated forcing people to do anything they don't want to do. A good example is in the 70s (before ADA) I built a dental building for a dentist near our Rossmoor retirement community, he specifically had the architect design it for wheelchair-bound people since he saw his future business coming from older people, the building has *all* extra wide parking spaces, there is a long wide ramp to the entrance with a low threshold, there is only one unisex bathroom that is large enough to accommodate a wheelchair. His plan worked and he had many wheelchair-bound patients, a few years ago he was planning to take an associated on and train him for a couple of years to take over his practice, selling his practice for the goodwill and receiving rent for the building for his retirement income, he called me about remodeling to add an operatory, I had to tell him that unfortunately neither his bathroom nor his lavatory outside the bathroom met ADA, that my usually method was to combine two bathrooms into one unisex bathroom but he didn't have that option so the only way I could do it was hire an architect to increase the size of his current bathroom taking space from existing operatories instead of adding an operatory. He sold his practice within a week with no alterations and retired on the spot, he told me that he didn't even want to do business anymore in a society that had such extreme government regulation, all of his wheelchair-bound patients were more than happy with his current facilities.

Conarb, How many windows have you given away or installed for free? How many times have you offered to go to court, for free

Last edited by a moderator:
For the rest of you Mark's knowledge obviously doesn't go back very far:

Wikipedia said:
On both Take It or Leave It and The $64 Question, contestants were asked questions devised by the series' writer-researcher Edith Oliver. She attempted to make each question slightly more difficult than the preceding one. After answering a question correctly, the contestant had the choice to "take" the prize for that question or "leave it" in favor of a chance at the next question. The first question was worth one dollar, and the value doubled for each successive question, up to the seventh and final question worth $64. During the 1940s, "That's the $64 question" became a common catchphrase for a particularly difficult question or problem. In addition to the common phrase "Take it or leave it", the show also popularized another phrase, widely spoken in the 1940s as a taunt but now mostly forgotten (except in Warner Bros. cartoons). Chanted in unison by the entire audience when someone chose to risk their winnings by going for the $64 prize, it was vocalized with a rising inflection: "You'll be sorrr-REEEE!"¹
¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_$64,000_Question

conarb said:
Which is worse, business and property owners who don't know about the law, or Lawyers, ADA Compliance Consultants, architects, and AHJ's who advocate enforcement to profit from enforcement of the law?
So you ain't got a contractor's license?

brudgers said:
So you ain't got a contractor's license?
Na, he has a contractor's license. He's just that guy that says he's been doing it his way for fifty years......and no one else knows as much as he has forgot.