• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

embroderies

Hyrax4978

Doing a renovation that will convert an existing space that has not been occupied in years to a mixed use, half will be B, the other half will be an embroideries production area. does embroideries fall under B, or F1. The building is not sprinklered and is part of a group of adjoining businesses in a strip mall. Each have their own entrances. But if I go with F1 then it triggers a fire area requirement of 3 hr separation, where if its B its only a 1 hour tenant separation. There is a second floor above that would make for a tricky 3 hour separation. If its B use then its a continuation of existing use. If its F1 then it will be a change of use.
4,000 SF B use where there is an office area and sales area for public to look at the embroidering to purchase and a 4,000 SF production area where they do the embroidering. Its that production area that looks like it might trigger the F1 use, but they don't actually fabricate clothing, just do the stitching.

Thank you,

not to many, its mostly done by machine. I would need to verify to know for sure, but im guessing 5 to 8.

Should have asked, is this a wall in shop, kind of open to the public?

We have some tshirt places, that have small production, I would call more of a B

They have a walled in production space of about 4,000 sf, not accessible to the public and a separate business space for their typical office/sales functions. People come in and meet with the office and then leave. Then the order that was placed gets sent to the production space to produce he work. they will do business logos and that kind of thing in larger quantities. not a smaller custom shop that does on offs. They will have machines that will embroider multiple pieces at one time. it definitely seems like a small factory space.

I would consider it a Group F-1. Section 306.2 includes a list of applicable uses, but further states that the list "not be limited to" those indicated. The embroidering is "manufacturing" and it involves "textiles" that are listed, so I would expect the level of hazard for this case is similar to those listed for Group F-1. There are no floor area thresholds for Group F-1 other than for food processing.

Are you trying to restrict the fire area for sprinkler purposes because the fire area will exceed 12,000 sq. ft.? You don't indicate the total floor area involved.

I agree with Ron, and would indicate F-1 is applicable.

IBC 306.2 (F-1) includes canvas or similar fabric, clothing, dry cleaning and dyeing, laundries, textiles, and upholstering. All pretty similar in nature to embroidering.

I would consider it a Group F-1. Section 306.2 includes a list of applicable uses, but further states that the list "not be limited to" those indicated. The embroidering is "manufacturing" and it involves "textiles" that are listed, so I would expect the level of hazard for this case is similar to those listed for Group F-1. There are no floor area thresholds for Group F-1 other than for food processing.

Are you trying to restrict the fire area for sprinkler purposes because the fire area will exceed 12,000 sq. ft.? You don't indicate the total floor area involved.
Remember the "Shirtwaste Fire" in NY. Flamable material contributed to the spread.