• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Emergency access gate width for vehicles

Lipets

We want to build a fence around our warehouse with a access gate.

I see them in the town 16' wide and 20' wide, tried looking in fire code but kinds confusing.

I know a fire truck is about 8.5 wide.

I don't want build the gate and find it doesn't meet the requirements.

A permit is not required to install the fence.

Any ideas?

I spoke to them three different people gave me different answers,

I was looking the code if anyone can point me in the right direction

You'll probably get 20 different answers here!
The fire codes typically address the width of a "fire apparatus access road". If the road is being used just for transportation and not for firefighting, (e.g. the road and gate is in the middle of a field), it can be narrower and its width may be determined by the actual equipment owned by the fire department, which is why Mtn Arch gave you that advice.

On the other hand, if the gate on the road in question is located next to a building, and the road is intended to be used by the fire department to stage and fight the fire, then the gate might need to open the full width of the road. For example, in Los Angeles County, a road for fighting a fire at a 2 story building would be about 26' wide, perhaps 28' for 3 stories or more.

Those are normally only used for building keys, not gates etc. Even then if there is a visible emergency situation they probably won't be used, the fire have other equipment available that's much quicker. Been there done that!
Normal practice around here to require a Knox box on gates. See it all the time on storage facilities (self-storage, RV/boat parking, etc.). Fire/EMS can access without damaging the gate or requiring security after an event until the gate/lock is fixed. Keep in mind, not all events are fire related; may be an EMS call or an errant alarm.