• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Emergency Lighting, What do you look for?

cda

Sawhorse 123
Does emergency lighting have a UL listing?

Do you look for that listing?

On the paperwork?

On the device?

Typically I look for the light to work when I push the test button and move on.

Very seldom is there paper work to look at when doing an inspection.

I would think you would have to take the emergency light apart to verify it has a (UL) listing, "Does anybody have a ladder?"

Does emergency lighting have a UL listing? it is suppose to

Do you look for that listing? Yes

On the paperwork? Yes

On the device? No However sometimes the box with the paperwork is laying on the floor or in the trash

UL emergency lighting is required to be listed and labeled per UL 924 as stated in IBC Section 1013.5 (2018 IBC).

NEC (2017) Section 410.6 requires that luminaires be listed, but not necessarily by UL.

I verify that the e-lighting is on the same circuit as the lighting. Sometimes they like to put the e-lighting on thier own circuit. If the lighting circuits tripped, the e-lights would not energize.

If I can reach the test switch with a broomstick it is not too high, if it lights up with the test switch operated it is good, hold the switch for a count of ten it will probably last, if they are 5 years old they probably need batteries or replaced.

do you check light fixture for listing?

If I can reach the test switch with a broomstick it is not too high, if it lights up with the test switch operated it is good, hold the switch for a count of ten it will probably last, if they are 5 years old they probably need batteries or replaced.

do you check light fixture for listing?

As someone said exit signs have to be listed,,,

Seems like emergency lights would also have to be listed????

Life safety thing???

Came up looking at emergency lights that, did not seem legit

When possible I have them trip the lighting circuit rather than use the test button. Then I walk the space. I don't check for listings or paperwork unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

When possible I have them trip the lighting circuit rather than use the test button. Then I walk the space. I don't check for listings or paperwork unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
on the initial install that is what we do, inspect the building with the E lights on, also good time to check the Fire Alarm batteries and system, better even at night for big building

On the topic of looking at listings, where possible we verify this on the documentation prior to the final inspection. You want me to show up, you need to get me the submittals for lots of the products used prior to the inspection.

Some consultants and contractors are getting smart enough to send all the submittals before they even order the product to make sure they are acceptable.

So do you require emergency lights to be tested/ listed by someone??

If so what code section do you cite

So do you require emergency lights to be tested/ listed by someone??

If so what code section do you cite

Complex issue, many responsible parties; depends on project complexity as to players involved and their acceptance of responsibility; then it comes down to the AHJ (and FLS?) to verify and accept.