• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Emergency window and well issue

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I recently did a final inspection on a two family home where the lower basement had an EEO with window well. While inspecting the main floor bedroom the EEO TWIN window was placed partly over the basement well EEO window. Depending on which of the twin window openings you use, you could land in the well when trying to exit.

Any suggestions other than moving the bedroom window, would half an EEO be permitted? Can an EEO window be placed over another EEO or EEO well?

With steveray on this one, it could be a second story, over a walkout basement and with a area well...............buyer beware!o_Oo_O

Interesting

Any grate over the basement well at ground level??

Requested one, was told they were going to install a piece of hinged Lexan? The stuff the "Red Wings" slam the "Islanders" up against at the rink! Not installed yet.

Reactions: JBI
The other thing is if you have a two story house on a hillside and you open the second floor bedroom window

Besides the two story drop, there is the extra fifty feet to the canyon floor.

Which most ahj's do not regulate

JBI,
meant to say when the "Islanders" slam the "Red Wings" against the glass. I better not bring those "Penguins" into this thread.

Reactions: JBI
As long as the window opening is more than 24" above the finished floor there is no code violation

R312.2.1 Window sills.
In dwelling units, where the opening of an operable window is located more than 72 inches (1829 mm) above the finished grade or surface below, the lowest part of the clear opening of the window shall be a minimum of 24 inches (610 mm) above the fininshed floor of the room in which the window is located....

I recently did a final inspection on a two family home where the lower basement had an EEO with window well. While inspecting the main floor bedroom the EEO TWIN window was placed partly over the basement well EEO window. Depending on which of the twin window openings you use, you could land in the well when trying to exit.

Any suggestions other than moving the bedroom window, would half an EEO be permitted? Can an EEO window be placed over another EEO or EEO well?

Might install a removable fiberglass grating over the window well??

According to me, I will gusset you that you should EEO window be placed over another EEO or EEO well.