• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

energy code for R2 occupancy

VLADIMIR LEVIN

Which section of Energy Code is applicable to R2 occupancy in mixed use building?
2015 IECC section C101.4.1 Mixed Occupancies says "...each occupancy shall be separately considered to meet the applicable provisions of IECC Commercial provisions or IECC Residential provisions.
But C402.1.3 says "...portions of commercial building enclosing Group R occupancies shall use the 'Group R' column of Table C402.1.3.

I think the applicable provisions for R2 occupancy is the Residential section of IECC because I dont have a "commercial building" that "encloses a Group R occupancy".
(My building is 1st floor commercial and 2nd, 3rd floor residential)

R101.4.1 Mixed residential and commercial buildings.
Where a building includes both residential building and commercial building portions, each portion shall be separately considered and meet the applicable provisions of the IECC—Commercial Provisions or IECC—Residential Provisions.

Look at the definitions. A residential building is limited to three stories above grade plane per the IECC. If the residential portion exceeds three stories, use only the commercial part of the IECC and, for the residential areas of the building only, use the columns marked for "Group R."

Look at the definitions. A residential building is limited to three stories above grade plane per the IECC. If the residential portion exceeds three stories, use only the commercial part of the IECC and, for the residential areas of the building only, use the columns marked for "Group R."
Thank you!
I was right but for the wrong reason.