• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Energy Compliance for Residential Renovations

In my jursidiction, yes, Energy Code requirements need to be met when work 'exposes the cavities' where insulation is required. The requirements for insulation in floors over unheated spaces, the vapor barrier on the soil in the crawlspace, etc., would need to be met. These are small things in the big picture, but they do add up to energy conservation and comfort for the owners. IMHO.

2009 IECC section 101.4.3 Additions, alterations, renovations or repairs to an existing building, building system or portion thereof shall conform to the provisions of this code as they relate to new construction without requiring the unaltered portion(s) of the existing building system to comply with this code.

What if the crawl space is not ventilated? Do you make them put vents in or leave the insulation to get wet from dampness if they are putting in a new floor? I seen a lot of old houses with unvented crawl spaces.

Crawl space ventilation 2009 IRC R408.1

Yes I would ask for ventilation explaining the need to let the moisture escape. We see a lot of wet damp under-floor insulation where ventilation is not provided here in New England.

This is a little off-topic but I'm wondering what that long aluminum box with the copper plumbing going into it is? It looks than usual anyway but considering everything else is PEX it really stands out in this case.

So, to make them ventilate it you would make them bust through the foundation walls to put vents in? What happened to "not requiring unaltered portion of building to comply with code".

It's hydronic heating fin tube. That makes the crawlspace "conditioned", so you would not add ventilation.

So, to make them ventilate it you would make them bust through the foundation walls to put vents in? What happened to "not requiring unaltered portion of building to comply with code".
#1, it is an altered portion of the building when they decided to reframe the floor and run new electrical, mechanical and plumbing.

#2, I would not make them do anything. The minimum code standards require that they comply. We simply enforce.

#3, There are other methods to comply with crawlspaces other than busting holes through the walls.

This is a pathetic job with very little code compliance and multiple violations that was signed off and a C of O issued by another BCO in a town that we took over. We received a complaint and now the former BCO has to deal with L&I. I am very proud of the fact that I have worked with L&I more than once to get another code official on board with the program. In one instance in the Poconos, he was decertified and no longer works in this business.

This is the kind of crap that gets my panties in a bunch because it is due to people like this that allow such garbage, and enable contractors to continue to be ignorant of the codes. It is also guys like this that make those of us that care about our job and our profession look like hard headed bad guys when all we want is for people to simply meet minimum standards.

rogerpa said:
It's hydronic heating fin tube. That makes the crawlspace "conditioned", so you would not add ventilation.
You can't condition it if it is outside the thermal envelope. I don't see any insulation on the walls, do you?

There is no insulation in the floor joist cavities, ergo this is not outside the conditioned envelope. Insulation could be installed on the exterior of the walls (but i'll give you that this probably not the case). Appears to be brick, R-2.05 (including air films, assuming at least 6" thick). This would increase below grade due to soil. Just because it's not code compliant dosen't mean it's not there.

The crawlspace is not below grade and this is not a code compliant installation which is my entire point of posting this. Act 222 in PA has been gone for 9+ years and if the walls were R9 in our area it would still not be compliant. I really don't understand the point of pointing out that there is some insulation value there when it is not a compliant installation and yet approved by a PA certified inspector. After 9 years you think everyone would start to "get it" just a little bit before approving such crap.