• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Entering Home W/O permission

1st class I ever had to take in to be an inspector was a law class! What was his first class?

If it had been at my house, he may not have left in the same shape. Legal to shoot intruders here if you think you are in danger. Some big guy yelling at me would lead me to believe I was in danger.

Yup that would get you in trouble here....you'd have to shoot her to get fired

Rider Rick said:
I'm sure the story would be different if it wasn't on video.What do you think?
Yes because then it would have been a He said-- She said case -- with his argument being that he never went in the house just called from the door that opened as he knocked and that she was just trying to get back at him for giving her the notice.

And yes it is all to common that when someone is told something they dont like, they can retaliate against the employee by complaining they were rude, offensive, racist, sexist, call social services with bogas child abuse complaint, etc. I have been on the receiving end of some of these--fortunately where I could prove otherwise, and have handled similar complaints about employees--at least one of which I had witnessed the encounter and knew that the alleged behaviour had NOT occurred.

At that rate all his supervisor could do is council at him never to do anything stupid like that in the future and send him out for legal training because, absent other evidence or witnesses turning up, the supervisor would not be able to prove that he was lying or that he had been in the house.

Rider Rick said:
I'm sure the story would be different if it wasn't on video. What do you think?
What with the Sheriff not sending a deputy? Don't be so cynical.

He'd be fired here too Frank... that type of behavior can soil the whole department in a P.R. nightmare. This is why I do not agree with certifying property maintenance inspectors as special police officers like they do at the beach and in Richmond. It goes to their head and they develop the "God" complex. I was inspecting an addition that was being built by a code enforcement special police officer and he flashed his badge and showed his gun when he failed his framing. This type of behavior is totally unacceptable for "professionals."

I remember prof in class stating that under usual circumstances you may not enter the home without an invitation(ever). I follow this rule, and have had to explain this to others.

Sue

Police powers, you want to have police powers then go thru the education, training and get a job as a police officer. This guy should be fired among, charged with trespassing, abuse of power, intimidation, through the book at him. One can only assume this is not the first time this guy has stepped over the line.

The nation has made it a significant enough of an issue that Police are required to go to some form of criminal justice academy to become a "certified" Police Office. Until events unfold, the code enforcement officer or a building code inspector will not have to attain the same level of training in order to perform inspections or do code enforcement work for counties or municipalities.

I am surprised that more of this doesn't occur. I bet the majority of us have had very little formal training -

If you are a fire investigator, you would have more ability to receive this training as you are considered a canidate for "police" powers.

Daddy-0- said:
He'd be fired here too Frank... that type of behavior can soil the whole department in a P.R. nightmare. This is why I do not agree with certifying property maintenance inspectors as special police officers like they do at the beach and in Richmond. It goes to their head and they develop the "God" complex. I was inspecting an addition that was being built by a code enforcement special police officer and he flashed his badge and showed his gun when he failed his framing. This type of behavior is totally unacceptable for "professionals."
We have two nicknames for our CEO (Code Enforcement Officer); "Code Toad" and "Puppy Kicker." In general, he is a great guy, but every once in awhile he borders on overboard. We even sent him to training, but we still have to bring him back down to reality on a monthly basis. We take his code balls away when he over does it and keep them in the money drawer.

On the other hand, I am glad he is here to do a job nobody else in our department wants to do.