• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Evaporative Cooler as Make-Up Air Fan

Meyer

Hi guys, does an evaporative cooler fall under the category in CEC SUBCHAPTER 5 140.9B (2a) STATING:

A. Mechanically cooled or heated makeup air delivered to any space with a kitchen hood shall not exceed the greater of:

i. The supply flow required to meet the space heating and cooling load; or
ii. The hood exhaust flow minus the available transfer air from adjacent spaces. Available transfer air is that portion of outdoor ventilation air serving adjacent spaces not required to satisfy other exhaust needs, such as restrooms, not required to maintain pressurization of adjacent spaces, and that would otherwise be relieved from the building.

If it so is, can someone please care to explain "i." im really just a newbee *flies away*.

Thanks!

Hi guys, does an evaporative cooler fall under the category in CEC SUBCHAPTER 5 140.9B (2a) STATING:

A. Mechanically cooled or heated makeup air delivered to any space with a kitchen hood shall not exceed the greater of:
i. The supply flow required to meet the space heating and cooling load; or...
If it so is, can someone please care to explain "i." im really just a newbee *flies away*.

Thanks!

Definition from California Mechanical Code 205.0:

upload_2020-2-19_11-11-23.png

There are no swamps in Calif, so that is why swamp cooler are not allowed.

LOL, off topic - - I could make a lot of jokes about the state capitol being a swamp, but actually we do have a lot of wetlands. Trivia: there's over a half million acres of rice grown in CA, and 95% of that rice is in the Sacramento River Delta.

I

i. The supply flow required to meet the space heating and cooling load; or
ii. The hood exhaust flow minus the available transfer air from adjacent spaces. Available transfer air is that portion of outdoor ventilation air serving adjacent spaces not required to satisfy other exhaust needs, such as restrooms, not required to maintain pressurization of adjacent spaces, and that would otherwise be relieved from the building.

Thanks!
I think so....