• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

existing building property line walls CBC

rick stone

I have an existing building probably mid 1970's.

Problem is existing property line walls with 0 distance, non-rated (I think) and no parapets.

We are not touching the walls except on the inside we are stripping the inside layer of drywall, adding 1/2" plywood and 5/8" type 'x' gyp. bd.

It already has 7/8" stucco on outside, so we in effect 1-houring the wall.

The property line walls do not have the required 30" parapet, and adding the parapet would require too much work and total re-design work.

The alternative is 705.11 exception 4. I'm don't think the existing roof can handle the extra weight of two layers of drywall.

Section 3403.1 of the california building code appears to limit the requirements for existing buildings stating 'Alterations..........to ensure that no less conforming than prior to the addition"

Actually we are upgrading to 1-hr. and fire blocking the wall, so it is more conforming than the existing.

We want to leave it at that and not overstress the existing roof with drywall or alter the building design with a new parapet.

Want to make sure though that I'm interpreting this right.

Thanks much

~ & ~ & ~

rick stone,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

Is there an RDP involved with the design of this project ?.........Assembling \

installing fire rated assemblies usually involves an RDP being actively

involved ?

~ & ~ & ~

I do not see any reason to require additional work beyond what you are doing. You are improving an existing non-compliant situation in the area of the work. To require more would make owners and contractors shy away from getting permits thus making them criminals and subject to jail time.