• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

existing building

McShan

Bronze Member
I went to do a courtesy inspection on a pizza place that had changed ownership, It was a pizza place for years the problems found were the two A/C returns directly in front of the cooking equipment within 5 foot which I know is a violation and there is a restroom which enters and exits through the food prep area which is another violation. My question is since it was allowed with the first pizza place for at least 15 years and they haven't changed the occupancy classification can the new owners be made to make it compliant or wait until the occupancy classification changes to make repairs?

Allowed does not mean it was code compliant. If it was code compliant 15 years ago then it is code compliant today regardless of how many times ownership has changed.
I have been at this since 1989 under the SBCCI, UBC and now the I-Codes and I do not recall a toilet room ever being allowed to be accessed directly from a food prep area.

403.3.2 Toilet room location.
Toilet rooms shall not open directly into a room used for the preparation of food for service to the public.

We do inspections here when someone applies for a business license which is require for new business or ownership change.

By allowed I mean it wasn't inspected and allowed to open, no code inspections here until 2007.

Wooee! talk about catching up with the times. That would be post Katrina, no?
then again aren't you still under a form of French law?

Technically they do not have to until some sort of renovation is to take place within the space. I would refer back to when the space was permitted and determine what code the building was designed in accordance with. If the code in which it was designed to has the same provisions that would not allow such things then yeah easy violation. You may also consider if there was some sort of variance approved to allow for the configuration. May use this as guidance:

https://up.codes/viewer/general/int_plumbing_code_2012