• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Existing Non IC rated 2x2 troffer lights

nitramnaed

Sawhorse
Hello,
We are working on a existing medical clinic remodeling. They want to install acoustical insulation above the ceiling in the exam rooms. The existing 2x2 light fixtures are not IC rated so as I understand it per 410.116 they would require a clearance of 3" around the fixture enclosure. Can we install a proprietary fire rated troffer cover over the fixture? This would not give us the 3" clearance. I'm not sure if this would meet the intent of the code.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Hello,
We are working on a existing medical clinic remodeling. They want to install acoustical insulation above the ceiling in the exam rooms. The existing 2x2 light fixtures are not IC rated so as I understand it per 410.116 they would require a clearance of 3" around the fixture enclosure. Can we install a proprietary fire rated troffer cover over the fixture? This would not give us the 3" clearance. I'm not sure if this would meet the intent of the code.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff
The troffers are usually accepted as meeting the intent to maintain clearance from the insulation however, the light fixture may still overheat causing an intermittent blinking situation. Check with the light manufacturer to make certain that an enclosed cover (if allowed) will not affect the operation of the fixture.