• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

existing restaurant

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings,

Existing A-2, occ load 233. 2012 IBC and Tx Accessiblity Standards should apply. Place has been closed for awhile and folks are trying to open under another name. I go for basic CO renewal inspection and find that there are 2 doors for egress. The main entrance is ok. The back egress door opens the wrong way AND the threshold is about 4' above the ground. No stairs, no ramp.

IMO there should be door must be fixed with turning out and proper hardware. A ramp must be installed since 2 accessible means of egress should have been installed from the get go. Building owner wants to install stairs.

However, reading IBC it says thusly.

1007.1 Accessible means of egress required.

Accessible means of egress shall comply with this section. Accessible spaces shall be provided with not less than one accessible means of egress. Where more than one means of egress are required bySection 1015.1 or 1021.1 from any accessible space, each accessible portion of the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress.

Exceptions:

1. Accessible means of egress are not required in alterations to existing buildings.

Just based on this, do you think there should be a ramp or are stairs acceptable. This building was screwed up from the beginning! I see this crap and I think Great White concert!

I'm going to call a friend with the Tx Accessiblity (TDLR) and look into our state requirements as they are administered as a building code too. That will have to wait until next week though

thanks

BSSTG

While all means of egress are required to be accessible in new construction, it is not a requirement for renovations or alterations.

Texas Accessibility Standards:

4.1.6(1)(g) In alterations, the requirements of 4.1.3(9), 4.3.10 and 4.3.11 do not apply.

Section 4.1.3(9) requires accessible exits in the same number as code required exits and permits areas of rescue assistance (ARAs) to be used when conditions preclude accessible exits;

Section 4.3.10 requires that accessible routes shall also serve as means of egress, and;

Section 4.3.11 defines (ARAs).

Therefore, an existing facility that is being altered is only required to have one accessible entrance. Extra, existing, exits and entrances are not required to be made accessible.

Greetings,

Yea I went back just now and looked at the scoping requirements in our Tx Chapter 469 which covers this mess. It refers back to the 2001 IBC 1007 which reads the same as the one I posted above. Stairs will be ok. I just hope there's never a fire in this place as the main entrance is immediately adjacent to the kitchen.

thanks abunch folks,

BS

You say it was built improperly when new, why should this mistake not be required to be corrected now?

If every one rushes to the rear bet there is no area of safe refuge provided?

You say it was built improperly when new, why should this mistake not be required to be corrected now?If every one rushes to the rear bet there is no area of safe refuge provided?
If it was "approved" when built it "complied" when built....AMOE gets a huge pass in remodels generally.

I've fought some of these fights on existing stuff. It never goes well been my experience. In this building I discovered yesterday that the owner has rebuilt restrooms without permits. They are noncompliant with accessiblity standards. I took pics and will report him to the state. There are some other issues with nonpermitted work too. We will see how it shakes out.

BS