• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit access stair unenclosed for 4 stories

First time posting, but I'm working on a similar project as nealderidder, where I'm trying to get an open stairway under the provisions of 1019.3 Condition 4. However, one of those four floors is a basement (and one of them is a roof). Can you point me to the code section that precludes the basement connection?

If the basement can't be connected through the same vertical opening, can the stair to the basement just be relocated elsewhere in the building? If so, how far away would it need to be relocated in order to not constitute a vertical opening?
The reason I mentioned that it could not include a basement was because the building that the OP mentioned was a 4-story building, and Section 1019.3, subparagraph 4, limits this condition to four stories. Therefore, I stated that unenclosed stairs connecting all four stories is permitted as long as there is no basement involved. Basements are permitted to be connected using exit access stairways, but they are counted as one of the connected floors.

The reason I mentioned that it could not include a basement was because the building that the OP mentioned was a 4-story building, and Section 1019.3, subparagraph 4, limits this condition to four stories. Therefore, I stated that unenclosed stairs connecting all four stories is permitted as long as there is no basement involved. Basements are permitted to be connected using exit access stairways, but they are counted as one of the connected floors.

Oh I see! Well that’s great news. So provided I meet all the criteria of Condition 4, I could have a rooftop access, two floors and a basement all atmospherically connected by an open stair? Awesome.

Now can you help me understand the part of that Condition 4 which states “...the area of the vertical opening between stories does not exceed twice the horizontal projected area of the stairway”? Is There a diagram or something you could direct me to that explains what that means? Thanks so much for your help, you appear to be a legend on these forums and I greatly appreciate your expertise and online resources!

Oh I see! Well that’s great news. So provided I meet all the criteria of Condition 4, I could have a rooftop access, two floors and a basement all atmospherically connected by an open stair? Awesome.

Now can you help me understand the part of that Condition 4 which states “...the area of the vertical opening between stories does not exceed twice the horizontal projected area of the stairway”? Is There a diagram or something you could direct me to that explains what that means? Thanks so much for your help, you appear to be a legend on these forums and I greatly appreciate your expertise and online resources!

He also writes a mean book::

https://www.amazon.com/Applying-Building-Code-Step-Step/dp/1118920759

Very worth the investment.

Reactions: JBI
Just be careful. If your opening gets too large it could be considered an atrium, and a smoke evacuation system would be required if more than 2 stories are connected without enclosures.

Nevermind, I was able to find the same slide on image search: https://image.slidesharecdn.com/201...in-vertical-openings-77-638.jpg?cb=1498829212

I'm complying with that so I think we're all good, thanks for all the help everyone!

Glad you found it!!!

Back to that Sawhorse

You have to be a sawhorse to post and see certain things

And. For a small fee you to can be a sawhorse, and support this Fantastic forum

That helps those lost in the “”twilight code zone”””

It looks like cda beat me with his post and that you got your answer. Good luck!

With a sawhorse subscrition you can post images. I save the image to my desktop as a jpeg and then drag it here.

And then I noticed that this is an ancient thread. I should look closer.

I thought about deleting this along with the post that resurrected the thread. But you know the guy took the time to use blue and yellow. I dont think anyone else has done that. And not blue and red....she used yellow. Yellow is the favorite color of institutionalized people so there's some joy that it will bring to ....well Vegas Paul for one.

1Ars5Wx.jpeg

Last edited: