• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

exit access stairways

A LU/LA elevator is acceptable as part of an accessible route, and per IBC Section 1009.2, an accessible route can be used as one of the accessible means of egress. However, since it is an elevator, then it must comply with Section 1009.4, which requires standby power and possibly an area of refuge.

A LU/LA elevator is acceptable as part of an accessible route, and per IBC Section 1009.2, an accessible route can be used as one of the accessible means of egress. However, since it is an elevator, then it must comply with Section 1009.4, which requires standby power and possibly an area of refuge.
Does the code specify somewhere that a “LULA” is acceptable?

In IBC Section 1102.1. I don’t see anything about LULA and in ICC/ANSI A117.1-2009 it does talk about it but I don’t see where it says that it can be used as a means of egress

In IBC Section 1102.1. I don’t see anything about LULA and in ICC/ANSI A117.1-2009 it does talk about it but I don’t see where it says that it can be used as a means of egress
Section 1009.2 states that an accessible means of egress can be any of the items listed, and in the number one position is an "Accessible route complying with Section 1104." IBC Section 1104 provides the scoping requirements for accessibility and by referencing ICC/ANSI A117.1-2009, Chapter 4 of that standard provides the technical requirements for accessible routes. Within Chapter 4, Section 408 provides the requirements for LU/LA elevators, which means that a LU/LA elevator can be part of an accessible route. Also, IBC Section 1109.7 (the accessibility chapter) states that elevators (which includes LU/LA elevators) must comply with Chapter 31, and Chapter 31 references ASME A17.1-2016 Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators, which also includes requirements for LU/LA elevators.